Ping Spikes

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Ping Spikes

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Ping Spikes
Ping Spikes
2022-06-21 14:38:06 - last edited 2022-06-23 11:07:08
Tags: #Ping Issues
Model: Archer C6  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.0.14 Build 20211118 rel.43110(4555)

I recently switched to this router and I am having ping spikes when on wi-fi. I tried testing with a phone app and also my brother that is connected to the WiFi has ping spikes when playing games. My computer is connected directly with an Ethernet cable to the router and I am not having any issues. Didn't experience any ping spikes on old router. Already turned off OneMesh which helped a little bit but the ping spikes are still there.

Edit: I was testing again and found out this is an issues only on the 2.4ghz band. On the 5ghz I had just tiny ping spikes compared to the 2.4ghz band

Edit2: Nevermind the ping lags are there even on the 5ghz but they are a lot less common then on the 2.4ghz

Edit3: Changed the channel on the 2.4ghz band to 3 and on the 5ghz one to 48. It seems that the ping spikes are completely gone on the 5ghz band (did around 500 pings and had no spikes)  but on the 2.4ghz channel it seems that it did not help at all, maybe it even got worse actually.
Edit4: Found out the ping spikes happen even on my computer that is connected with LAN. But they are not really noticeable, the ping goes usually from 1 to 15 which is pretty okay but it is bothering me a bit.

Edit5: So I have reverted the firmware to the one the router came with ( 1.0.9 Build 20210322 rel. 73262(4555) ) and the ping spikes on my computer (connected on lan) and my 5GHz band seem to be completely gone now. I am guessing the 2.4GHz ping spikes are related to firmware so I don't know what else I could currently try doing.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Ping Spikes-Solution
2022-06-23 08:24:16 - last edited 2022-06-23 11:07:08

@pandamidar 

As per your description, it seems the ping spikes mainly happen on the 2.4G wireless connection, I would assume the 2.4G wireless networks could be congested in your area, please run a Wi-Fi analyzer on your phone to observe the networks, then try choosing a channel that has less interference with others to monitor the connectivity again. You can also change the channel width to 40MHz.

As you already mentioned, the WN721 is quite old and it only supports the 2.4G connection, maybe it's time to switch to a dual-band adapter now.

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:Ping Spikes
2022-06-22 02:15:22 - last edited 2022-06-22 07:26:45

Hello @pandamidar 

Please refer to this guide to do some basic troubleshooting if the ping is high when connected to the router:

What should I do if I get the high ping value from TP-Link Wi-Fi router? (Case 3)

If this doesn't help, please show us how you test the ping, and what are the 2.4G settings on the C6.

BTW, what is the brand and model of the wireless card on the computer that connects to the C6 2.4G network? Please check and install the latest driver for it.

Options
2022-06-22 07:22:45 - last edited 2022-06-22 07:26:36

@Kevin_Z Nothing on that page really helped. I was testing the ping on my phone pretty much next to the router and had ping spikes in the same room where the old router was and I had no problems with interference then. I was testing the ping on my phone with a app called Ping - Network Utility (on  ios) where I have no idea what model or brand wireless card is on there (it is a IPhone 7) and then on my brother's computer I tested the ping through CMD and I was pinging the default gateway (192.168.0.1) . He is using a Wireless Adapter Tp-link WN-721N where the latest  drivers were released in 2013, which could be the problem but again he had no issues when using it with the older router. But either way we are planning on buying a Wireless Adapter that supports 5GHz  but I would like a solution before that if there is one. I will add pictures of the ping spikes from my phone and my brother's pc
These two are from my brother's pc
T
This is from my phone

Had even a few request time-outs which happened only like once or twice yesterday.
For comparison this is from the 5GHz band (which also had really big ping spikes when I was on the latest firmware)

And here are the 2.4GHz settings( They are all default, I tried switching around channels which didn't help and after upgrading to the older firmware I just set it all to default but just disabled the Smart Connect so I could test the 5GHz band easier.)

Options
2022-06-22 07:33:49

@pandamidar Forgot to add tests of my public IP so here they are

Let me know if you need something else

Options
Re:Ping Spikes-Solution
2022-06-23 08:24:16 - last edited 2022-06-23 11:07:08

@pandamidar 

As per your description, it seems the ping spikes mainly happen on the 2.4G wireless connection, I would assume the 2.4G wireless networks could be congested in your area, please run a Wi-Fi analyzer on your phone to observe the networks, then try choosing a channel that has less interference with others to monitor the connectivity again. You can also change the channel width to 40MHz.

As you already mentioned, the WN721 is quite old and it only supports the 2.4G connection, maybe it's time to switch to a dual-band adapter now.

Recommended Solution
Options
2022-06-23 11:10:18

@Kevin_Z Okay thank you for the help! I already tried changing the channels but it didn't really help so I don't expect much from that but I will try it again and I'll try changing the channel width. I will be switching to the dual band adapter in a few days. I will let you know how it goes.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 705

Replies: 5

Tags

Ping Issues
Related Articles