TP-link Router to modem to Pfsense & router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-06-22 21:01:49 - last edited 2022-06-23 00:54:23
Tags: #modem
Model: Archer VR400  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: Latest

Good Afternoon,

I have recently purchased a new router to enhance my network and protection, as my prior router, the AC1200 /VR400 did not support VPN as required by my supplier.

Because of this change, I am looking to best use my old hardware and need some advice.

I am thinking of changing the VR400 to a simple modem with the new router acting as router for IP and internet with a few to then install a Protectli Vault FW4B - 4 Port, Firewall Micro Appliance/Mini PC - Intel Quad Core (Celeron J3160), AES-NI, 4GB RAM, 32GB mSATA SSD to install pfsense however I am getting a bit confused on how to need to structure my network and would like some advice:

Should my old router(VR400) be the modem or the new high-end one? And why?

Which order of device would be best? 

Should it go --> AC1200/VR400(modem) ----> ASUS AU88U or Asus AU88U ----> to AC1200 and where should pfsense go is it one cable to AC1200/VR400(modem) ----> one to pfsense and then one to the ASUS AU88U?

Any help is much appericated. 

Options
2 Reply
Re:TP-link Router to modem to Pfsense & router
2022-06-22 23:59:46 - last edited 2022-06-26 12:34:55

@NetworkJungle-S 

If you're planning to get a PfSense box then you don't need an additional router, but just an access point.

PfSense is a firewall/router itself which you can use for VPN that you need.

In this case your topology would be:

--> AC1200/VR400(modem) ----> PfSense box -----> Access Point (ASUS AU88U can be configured in AP mode too)

If you still haven't bought PfSense you can use the following topology:

--> AC1200/VR400(modem) ----> ASUS AU88U (so you can use the full features of your ASUS AU88U)

When you use a firewall device it should be the entry point of your private network to be effective.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
Re:TP-link Router to modem to Pfsense & router
2022-06-24 02:07:54
Please send me my router login password,,🥺
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1215

Replies: 2

Tags

modem
Related Articles