Slow download through 5G , upload are ok

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-07-07 08:10:09 - last edited 2022-08-02 22:13:26
Tags: #slow download
Model: Archer AX73  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.0 Build 20211222 rel.74632(5553)

I have experiencing slow download on my brand new Archer AX73 V1, my ISP 250/250 Mbps line is PPPoe bridged into a x86_64 OpenWRT router.

Then AX73 connecting into OpenWRT router (CAT6E), tested cable speed connected directly into OpenWRT i am getting 250/250 Mbps (CAT6).

When an android phone connecting into AX73 in 5G, I am only getting ~30-50/240 Mbps, so upload are fine but download is struggling, connected devices in AX73 are only 2-4 devices at one time.

Tried : 

- In AX73 the "Internet Port Negotiation Speed" is already 1000 Mbps full duplex.

- Disabling QOS in OpenWRT & AX73

- Replace the AX73 WAN cable with another CAT6 cable but still the same result.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Slow download through 5G , upload are ok-Solution
2022-08-02 22:13:11 - last edited 2022-08-02 22:13:26

@nanobot 

Aaron from the support been helpful and patiently pointing me into the right directions, the problem was my OpenWRT x86_64 setting, "Packet Steering" was off, after turning it on, AX73 managed to get full speed from the speedtest android app.

The AX73 installation been flaweslly successfull with great range of signal and bandwidth!.

Recommended Solution
Options
10 Reply
Re:Slow download through 5G , upload are ok
2022-07-07 17:46:04 - last edited 2022-07-07 17:55:20

Found out the solution!, currently there are not much AX/WIFI6 clients are available in the wild.

So while tinkering, here is the best possible WIFI option for AX73 and possibly fixes other download/downstream problems too in different tp-link router.

In general make sure that most of your clients support the AX or either AC WIFI features. Then set it up accordingly into most supported WIFI features based on most used by clients.

Based on these settings, I am getting nearly full of my ISP's line rate!

Feature request to tp-link, In smartconnect please add/allow individual selection MODE based on each band (2,4 Ghz & 5 Ghz).

Options
2022-07-07 18:02:11
After second thought and speedtest re-testing it goes back with slow download (the effect seems momentarily), my Android phone is AX/WIFI6 capable, why I should downgrade to AC if so, also AX MODE selection mention it should be supporting AC. So sorry for these, I have unmarked my 'solution'.
Options
2022-07-08 06:24:12

Hello @nanobot 

Thank you for reaching out to us and welcome to the TP-Link community.

In order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, please reply with the answers to the questions below:

1. Have you had a chance to test the wireless connection with other AX/Wi-Fi 6 clients, such as laptops with AX adapters? What is the download and upload speed?

2. What if you connect a computer directly to the AX73 with an Ethernet cable, will the download speed be normal?

3. If the Ethernet LAN speed is normal, I would suggest modifying the 5G wireless settings, such as channel and channel width, and picking up a clear channel to avoid any interference with your neighbors, then monitor and test the speed again.

Options
2022-07-08 10:47:33 - last edited 2022-07-08 13:53:07

@Kevin_Z 

Thanks for welcoming :-).

1. AX client currently that I have is only the android one, my workstation is AC based, tested with the workstation I am getting full download speed, but as my experiences recall laptop/pc/workstation client is always the best performer as it has more system & hardware resources than mobile.

The android one/AX is quite strange, if I picked up my country speedtest server it got problematic download as it is, but if picked my closest neighbor country, it got full download speed. The android itself is detecting the AX73 SSID as wifi6 so I am sure the android is WIFI6 capable client, also I am only running original samsung firmware on it, not a custom one.

My other finding is the same country speedtest is 'normalize' into same speed around 30-50 Mbps download, I am not sure there are any foul play by limiting my isp bandwidth test by their competitor,  but the speedtest that is hosted by my own ISP also producing the same slow download result.

If it's a driver/kernel limitation in my android, there is not much I can do other trying to report or waiting their fixes, I don't want to void warranty by running custom firmware one.

2. From my workstation through wire connected directly into AX73 from my workstation, I am getting normal speed.

3. I have done channel scan, but have found no other SSID both in 2.4G & 5G, the android test was done in the same floor with only around ~12 meters away from the AX73.

Options
2022-07-08 15:41:29 - last edited 2022-07-16 14:52:32

I found out possibly the REAL issue!, after getting the same result from Resetting my network config in my samsung Android and also hard reset my android, I am testing it out with running speedtest.net in Android chrome, and voila!, real speed comes through. Probably it's a bugs or issues in speedtest.net native android App!.

Checking around the net on how to report this issue to speedtest.net android developers, but cannot found any lead.

Note : speedtest.net native windows App seems unaffected.

Options
2022-07-16 14:55:49 - last edited 2022-07-16 15:42:35

Removed solution as I was tested with Netgear R7800 and getting full line 250Mbps/250Mbps speeds in speedtest android app, the issues seems doesn't come with SpeedTest android app.

Been trying to changes my AX73's WIFI settings but still cannot figuring it out this slow download problem.

In reply before, I have mentioned the issue doesn't appear when running speedtest in android chrome but it seems now getting the same speed in chrome so I am sure the issue is not coming from speedtest android app

If you take a look at download graph, you can see initial burst is nearly reaching its peak but getting slower second after it. So probably something about AX73 initial download burst (RX).

Tried : 

• Factory reset my AX73 but still the same end.
  • Putting unmanaged gigabit switch in between AX73 and OpenWRT router
  • Using even CAT7 cable
  • Updating into latest 1.2.1 Build 20220316 rel.35540(5553) firmware version.

I am really dissapointed by these issue. Starting to regreting my purchase. 

Why not open up AX73 with 3rd Party works like OpenWRT?. 

I cannot flashed US built since it's a unsigned/nosign image, always getting "Upload Error" when testing either US AX73 build (nosign), how to turn off AX73 signed build protection in AX73 ID/Indonesia version?.

There is AX73 GPL code but always failed to building it in Debian 11

Options
2022-07-19 05:43:30

@nanobot 

Can I know the brand and model of this AX/Wi-Fi 6 Android phone? How about its OS?

Are you using Speedtest APP or speedtest.net on the Android phone? We would like to forward your case to the TP-Link support engineers and follow it up via your registered email address later. Please pay attention to your email box for follow-up. Thank you.

Options
2022-07-19 06:30:49

@Kevin_Z 

It's Samsung Galaxy S20+, running latest original firmware on Android 12.

It's speedtest.net both on android native app and speedtest.net through chrome browser. Now on my workstation I am also experiencing the same slowdown.

Thanks but I have already report it through e-mail/support, will P.M you the case ID.

Options
Re:Slow download through 5G , upload are ok-Solution
2022-08-02 22:13:11 - last edited 2022-08-02 22:13:26

@nanobot 

Aaron from the support been helpful and patiently pointing me into the right directions, the problem was my OpenWRT x86_64 setting, "Packet Steering" was off, after turning it on, AX73 managed to get full speed from the speedtest android app.

The AX73 installation been flaweslly successfull with great range of signal and bandwidth!.

Recommended Solution
Options
2022-08-03 02:17:49

@nanobot 

Glad to hear that the speed issue is figured out on your Android phone. 

Thank you very much for updating the solution in the community, that will help others who may encounter similar issues.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 606

Replies: 10

Tags

slow download