tp-link model: tl-wr940n installation

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-07-11 23:47:26
Model: TL-WR940N  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I am running with ubuntu 20.04 (linux)

I have a tp-link model: tl-wr940n and I am trying to set it up.  So far its been a disaster.  I made a run at it and suddenly it told me I had tried too many times and I had to wait 2 hours.  My problem was that I was getting asked questions and I had no idea how to answer them.  When I tried it told me I was wrong.  That dance went on until it didn't.  Oh, when I answered one with the right answers it just skipped to another before it threw me out.  Then I read everything I could about this thing and tried again.  As I was trying to get to the questions it suddenly showed me the tp-link network that I could selecty for my internet access.  The problem is that there was nothing in it, as far as I could tell.  I was wondering what it was giving but my wifi took it.  Then I tried the internet and nothing happened.  It said it had an excellent connection but no internet. 

When I hooked it up I wasn't sure where to the connection from the main router (ARRIS SURFboard SBG6900AC Docsis 3.0 I think)  I currently don't have it in the single blue spot but in one of the 4 orange places.  When I had it in the single blue one it seemed to me that it was somehow messing with the network and I lost the internet until I turned it off and re-started my system router.  I REALLY need some help.  My thought is to reset it back to it was and start over.  If I ever get back to that place in http://tplinkwifi.net/ I need to know just what they are asking for in the 2 (that I experienced, there may be ore) questions about names and passwords.  All I wanted to do was to move my house wi-fi past one wall with cable and then let my tp-link send out the network stronger than my router so I can get a little more speed. 

Any help would REALLY be appreciated.

Thank you..........

Options
3 Reply
Re:tp-link model: tl-wr940n installation
2022-07-12 02:33:58

@jwhitte 

It sounds like you're targeting 'Access Point' mode (Case 1) for TL-WR940N. (blue text is a hyperlink to the 'AP mode' setup guide).

Use 'Quick Setup' to configure WR940N in AP mode and leave the default settings except Wireless settings (set desired SSID name for your WR940N wireless network).

Once configured in AP mode connect WR940N WAN port (blue one) to one of the Arris router LAN ports and you should be good to go.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2022-07-12 18:10:42

Thank you for your reply!

@jwhitte OK, I have reset it back to new and am ready to try again.

I think you are telling me to use quick setup to do this before I actually plug it into the blue plug.  I found the https://static.tp-link.com/res/down/doc/TL-WR940N(UN)_V3_QIG.pdf  quick setup.   So, you want me to plug in the power then connect an ethernet cable between the 940 and my computer, right?  That will, in theory, give me the opportunity to configure the router by replugging the ethernet cable into one of the four orange ethernet ports.  This also means I can now have the internet wirelessly, from the 940.

My problem with that one is that if I do that I will lose my internet until I can access the wifi from the router.  The solution is, I think, is to disconnect the two, plugin to the internet, bring up the internet.  Then I can proceed to access http://tplinkwifi.net, login as admin and admin, press next.  auto detect the setup wan type, setup name tplink_something and give it a password.  Iis this one I make up, comes from the router, or is necessary to access the network from my router (I'm a bit confused about passwords)  and then finish up?

Hopefully I got it,  If not let me know.  I'm trying! (and remembering my past mess so I want to get it right in one.

Options
2022-07-12 18:37:10 - last edited 2022-07-13 01:14:40

@jwhitte 

Watch this video for the whole process. It's from Turkish TP-Link division (sorry, couldn't find in English), but you'll easily understand what you need to do.

Here's one in in English - its for a different device model, but the steps are pretty much the same.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 689

Replies: 3

Related Articles