Deco M3W vs E4

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco M3W vs E4

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Deco M3W vs E4
Deco M3W vs E4
2022-07-12 09:07:45 - last edited 2022-07-12 09:09:00
Model: Deco M3W  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

current setup:

1 x E4 primary unit connected to internet router

2 x E4 satellite units connected to E4 primary unit

problem:

wifi deadspot in new kitchen extension

what benefit would adding another E4 satellite unit have over simply plugging in a M3W? from a pure wifi perspective, i don't see any benefit. in fact, because the M3W is small and simply plugs in to a power outlet, it actually seems more appealing than having a small E4 tower sat on a table. not only that, the diagram below seems to suggest that the M3W can be daisy-chained off any other Deco, whereas each E4 satellite unit must be connected back to the E4 primary unit (as far as i am aware)

can anyone explain how the M3W actually works in comparison to an E4? is the M3W more of an extender than an actual mesh satellite?

thanks

Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco M3W vs E4
2022-07-13 09:09:17

@rotherdrummer 

Welcome to the community.

You could take Deco E4 as a Deco M3W with two 100m/s Ethernet ports.

So Deco E4 is also capable fof whatever Deco M3W supports but Deco M3W could not provide an Ethernet connection for wired laptops and does not support Ethernet backhaul either.

Deco E4 could be daisy-chained off other Decos as well.

Best regards.

Options
2022-07-13 09:31:07

@David-TP thanks for your response.

We have actually purchased a M3W and tested it yesterday afternoon - it works perfectly and has got rid of the dead spot! However, I'm still confused about daisy-chaining. I thought all Deco's in a wireless mesh network needed to connect back to the primary unit. Is that not the case? Would both of these scenarios work? (The black line between router and main unit is ethernet, the grey lines are wireless)...

Options
2022-07-14 01:55:25

@rotherdrummer 

Yes, both scenarios work.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 331

Replies: 3

Related Articles