Enable DHCP server in AP Mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-07-12 11:48:42 - last edited 2022-07-20 09:35:51
Model: Deco X60  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.51

My ISP has introduced digital voice services which are integrated with their modem/hub. Like most ISPs the hub performance is not great particularly for networks with many devices where the hubs  DHCP fails to cope with more than 60 plus connected devices.  I am therefore forced to use (happily) the Deco X60 directly connected to my internet line in PPPoE mode in order that I can use the DHCP server in the Deco X60 which is superior to the one in the ISP hub. 

Sadly this means my ISP hub cannot be connected to my network and thus I lose my digital voice service. 

Is it possible to introduce a feature to allow the DHCP server in the X60 to be enabled in AP mode ?  In the ideal world I would be able to connect my Deco Hub in AP mode using its DHCP server whilst connecting the ISP hub directly to the internet with its DHCP server disabled.

tks

Dave

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Enable DHCP server in AP Mode-Solution
2022-07-12 16:04:55 - last edited 2022-07-20 09:36:03

@Dave_Wood 

I am curious, why haven't you tried the following: connect ISP modem/hub to the internet line, connect Main Deco to hub in "Dynamic IP" mode. 

Yes, you will introduce "Double NAT" by doing this, but only small number of devices and services don't like it. If you happened not to have any, this setup should work just fine.

Recommended Solution
Options
2022-07-12 19:20:00 - last edited 2022-07-20 09:35:51

@Dave_Wood 

Do not disable DHCP server in the ISP router. Main Deco will use it to get its IP address. Everything else on your home network that is connected to Deco mesh will be getting their IP addresses from Main Deco DHCP service.

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
2022-07-12 16:04:55 - last edited 2022-07-20 09:36:03

@Dave_Wood 

I am curious, why haven't you tried the following: connect ISP modem/hub to the internet line, connect Main Deco to hub in "Dynamic IP" mode. 

Yes, you will introduce "Double NAT" by doing this, but only small number of devices and services don't like it. If you happened not to have any, this setup should work just fine.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Enable DHCP server in AP Mode
2022-07-12 17:07:14

@Alexandre. Hi Alexandre,

as a relative newbe I havent tried this so will try and see if it makes any difference.

My ISP's Digital Voice service is integrated with the broadband service, their router has to connect using PPoE so will reconnect this to the service and then connect the main Deco to that with the Deco configured to use dynamic ip ............ will need to look into this to understand how this will work. The DHCP server in the ISP router/server will be disabled .......... I guess the bit i dont understand yet is how the deco gets its ip address .......but thats a bit of reading for me  to do :-) and of course I assume using the dynamic ip setting I can still use the deco DHCP server.

Options
2022-07-12 19:20:00 - last edited 2022-07-20 09:35:51

@Dave_Wood 

Do not disable DHCP server in the ISP router. Main Deco will use it to get its IP address. Everything else on your home network that is connected to Deco mesh will be getting their IP addresses from Main Deco DHCP service.

Recommended Solution
Options
2022-07-13 03:55:39

@Dave_Wood Dave, sorry to be that guy that says "I need more I formation", but what services does the hub from your ISP provide? I have always used the modem from my internet provider as simply a connection to the outside world, and out my own (typically wireless) router behind it. What are you trying to accomplish and what are you not able to do?

Options
2022-07-19 11:27:40

@HHaas 

Hi just to let you know we seem to be up and running :-)   I guess double NAT is a possible problem but no gamers here and although two DHCP servers running (different address ranges) I do not seem to have any problems as all the attached devices on the Wifi network and local Ethernet network appear to be picking up IP addresses from the DECO X60. I do not know enough about subnetworks and DHCP server to know whether this configuration will become a problem in the future. I know some of the smart speaker configurations require all the speakers to be on the same network ( I assume same sub network). But it is working at present so we see how we get on.

tks for help.

Set up as below :

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 635

Replies: 5