WAN/LAN auto-sensing - does this prevent wifi across my LAN too?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-07-15 03:44:28
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.5.7
Does this WAN/LAN auto-sensing only effect ethernet connections? I ask because every time I lose internet connectivity on my M5s I lose 'all' LAN connections - wifi as well as wired.

I understand the 'feature' (and totally disagree with your method) and how it would prevent ethernet connections but is there some sort of direct link between the LAN port and the wifi ability?

Whenever the internet connection goes down none of my TVs (with nVidia Shields and connected HDDs) can access my stored media via wifi.

Is this another effect of that 'feature' or have I configured something incorrectly?

Options
5 Reply
Re:WAN/LAN auto-sensing - does this prevent wifi across my LAN too?
2022-07-15 06:17:05

@Grunntt 

Hi, We could take the following picture as an example.

When the ISP modem stopped providing an IP address to the main Deco, only the LAN devices connected to the main Deco will be affected and fail to get IP addresses from Deco. So they are not accessible by other clients on the LAN.

If all the TVs are wirelessly connected to Deco, or connected to other satellite Deco units(Deco 2+Deco 3) via Ethernet cable in the layout, they will still work properly.

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
2022-07-15 08:39:14 - last edited 2022-07-15 13:35:15

@David-TP

Your reply of " If all the TVs are wirelessly connected to Deco, or connected to other satellite Deco units(Deco 2+Deco 3) via Ethernet cable in the layout, they will still work properly. "

This seems to indicate that I should be able to access my media via any wifi connected device but I cannot do that.

As I mentioned " Whenever the internet connection goes down none of my TVs (with nVidia Shields and connected HDDs) can access my stored media via wifi. "

According to the other thread titled "WAN/LAN Autosensing" ethernet connected devices will not be accessible on the LAN when the internet connection drops.

What I am trying to find out is the WAN/LAN Autosensing 'feature' that pevents ethernet connected devices from connecting across the LAN also stopping wifi connected devices from functioning too.

Not sure how to attach images here yet but this is my current layout  (dotted lines indicate wifi and solid lines are hardwired) -

LAN layout

I may have worked out the image posting....

In summary..... When the internet connection drops none of my devices are able to connect to each other at all.

Options
2022-07-19 11:46:52 - last edited 2022-07-19 11:48:52

@David-TP 

So, do I understand you correctly that all of my wifi devices should be able to connect across the LAN?

You say " If all the TVs are wirelessly connected to Deco, or connected to other satellite Deco units(Deco 2+Deco 3) via Ethernet cable in the layout, they will still work properly. "

But none of my devices are accessible anywhere on my LAN every time I lose internet connection..

If you are correct then I must have something configured incorrectly. Can you suggest how I resolve this?

If you are incorrect then this hardware is basically useless the way TP-Link have it set up.

Options
2022-07-20 06:03:34

@Grunntt Hi, Thank you very much for your time and patience.

I would like to follow up on your case by email and please check whether you could get an email from me later.

At the same time, could you please help me check the following information:

1. When the internet went down if you check the Deco APP device list(Please still connect the smartphone to the Wi-Fi of Deco even though there is no internet), will you see these two Shield TVs get IP addresses from Deco?

2. You mentioned that " "Whenever the internet connection goes down. none of my TVs (with nVidia Shields and connected HDDs) can access my stored media via Wi-Fi",

Do you actually mean neither Shield TVs are unable to access the USB HDDs that are connected to each other, such as TV1 can not access the USB HDD that is connected to the TV2 and vice versa?

--If yes, would there be any error message and can I have a picture?

Best regards.

Options
2022-07-21 10:09:54

@David-TP 

Thank you for getting back to me - I assume the email from support is from you so I will reply to that with my Deco App email address as requested.

" 1. When the internet went down if you check the Deco APP device list(Please still connect the smartphone to the Wi-Fi of Deco even though there is no internet), will you see these two Shield TVs get IP addresses from Deco? "

Both nVidia Shields still show the same IP addresses even when not connected to the internet.

"

2. You mentioned that " "Whenever the internet connection goes down. none of my TVs (with nVidia Shields and connected HDDs) can access my stored media via Wi-Fi",

Do you actually mean neither Shield TVs are unable to access the USB HDDs that are connected to each other, such as TV1 can not access the USB HDD that is connected to the TV2 and vice versa?

--If yes, would there be any error message and can I have a picture?"

This is precisely what occurs - each unit can access files on the drive attached directly to it but neither can access files attached to the other unit.

The only error message that appears is "Playback Failed. One or more items failed to play. Check the log for more information about this message."

This is when I use Kodi to attempt to watch a movie or TV episode from the HDD via the nVidia Shield. The log only shows "Video Library Scanner. Failed to scan tvshow."

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 815

Replies: 5

Related Articles