Its 2022 and there's still no way to lock a device to a signle Deco...

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-07-26 02:39:50
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 1.0.2 Build 20220401 Rel. 63997

I recently (now regrettably) upgraded to a Deco x20 system for my house. For most devices, its been great. I finally have full home coverage, both downstairs and upstairs, and the speed a get has improved from my old router by a lot as well. However, I am having a missive issue with my desktop PC specifically that is steering me towards returning the whole system and going back to a non mesh system, its that bad.

Here is my Deco setup:

Deco 1:

This deco is setup as the main deco, and is connected directly to my cable modem.

It is located centrally, upstairs in my house

Deco 2:

This deco is connected wirelessly to the main deco

It is located downstairs, at the far right of my house

Deco 3:

This deco is connected to the main deco via a powerline adapter

It is located upstairs, at the far end of the left side of the house

The issue:

My desktop PC is located 1 room over from my main deco. I get the strongest signal to this deco by a longshot, as well as significantly better speeds and latency. For some reason, however, my PC keeps switching from Deco 1 to Deco 3. While yes, there may be some issues with windows or my wifi adapeter (which is also a TP-Link Archer TXe75e adapter ironically), from my entire understanding of how a Mesh WiFi system works this shouldn't happen. When comparing Deco 1 and Deco 3 at this location, there is 0 reason why I see my PC should be connecting to Deco 3 over Deco 1. I also will see it quickly switch from Deco 1 to Deco 3, and then switch back. This causes disconnects sometimes when this occurs. Below is some data I've gotten:

Deco 1 vs Deco 3 in this location:

Signal Strength

Deco 1: -53 dBm

Deco 3: -82 dBm

Latency in Speedtest.net speed test:

Deco 1: 9 ms

Deco 3: 16 ms

Download Speed in Speedtest.net speed test:

Deco 1: 359.31 mbps

Deco 3: 29.49 mbps

Upload Speed in Speedtest.net speed test:

Deco 1: 11.92 mbps

Deco 3: 10.63 mbps

What I've tried:

• Completely reinstalling my WiFi drivers for my Archer TXe75e adapter
  • Setting Roaming Aggressiveness to Lowest in my WiFi adpter's advanced settings
  • Setting the Preferred Band to 5GHz in my WiFi adpter's advanced settings
  • Making sure every Deco is fully up to date
  • Turning off Mesh for my desktop in the Deco App when I see my desktop is connected to Deco 1
  • Angling my PC's WiFi adpater antennas towards Deco 1

Questions:

1. Why is there no feature for this yet. It seems like an overwhelming majority of posts in the Deco forums are asking for this?
  2. Is there anything else that can be done in my case (somehow blocking Deco 2 and 3 from the client end through their MAC addresses or something, idk much about this)?
  3. I've seen conflicting information given as approved answers in multiple posts asking for this. Some have said this feature is available, but for different Deco models.Some have said this isn't possible at all. Some have said this feature is in development. Which is it?
  4. If only allowing a client to connect to a specific Deco is not possible, then would blocking a client from specific Decos be possible? You can already do this for the whole network, so why not expand this and allow blocking for specific Decos?
  5. The app has the Deco Labs feature, which allows users to try out some more experimental type features. Why not use this to try and develop a solution to this problem. I mean, the top post on this forum is about this issue and that post alone has over 32k+ views.

Options
5 Reply
Re:Its 2022 and there's still no way to lock a device to a signle Deco...
2022-07-26 14:23:09 - last edited 2022-07-26 20:59:53

@rmason 

I think I may be able to explain what is going on and offer configuration settings you could try, to address the issue. Also, I can provide an alternative ironclad solution (but you'll have to spend few extra dollars on it).

To not make that post really long, I may reply later with separate post discussing what is this new feature "locking device to a single Deco," which is available in firmware 1.6 for Deco M5 only (currently), and why it may not be solution for your problem even when it comes with some future firmware upgrade for X20s you have.

-----------------------

What is going on.

I will start with the assumption you have modern WiFi adapter. I googled TP-Link Archer TXe75e and I can tell it is. This adapter should know what WiFi mesh is and how to use it. You also have modern Deco WiFi mesh system from TP-Link.

I make that important point, because you may have seen many complains on that forum from people using old devices such as security cameras, which run on 2.4GHz only, and these devices obviously don't understand what WiFi mesh is and why there could be multiple nodes broadcasting same SSID. They just connect to whatever WiFi mesh node they find first and stick to it forever.

Yours is not that case, so ignore those forum posts as irrelevant to what you have.

Your PC connects to Deco 1, occasionally switching to Deco 3. The only reason I can think of that behavior is some sort of brief WiFi interference appearing between PC and Deco 1, to the point when PC realizes it can't talk reliably to Deco 1. Hence, it looks for different WiFi mesh node it can talk to, finds Deco 3 and connects to it. This is the proper functioning of WiFi mesh and wireless client, if root cause is WiFi interference.

That WiFi interference could be something obvious, such as microwave or cordless phone in the room with Deco 1, or PC, or in adjacent rooms. Could be less obvious such as high power electrical cable going in the wall between PC and Deco 1 rooms, to electric stove or electric dryer. Could also be something out of your control, such as your neighbour playing with WiFi jammer or nearby military installation testing radar equipment.

If you can figure source of WiFi interference, and it is under your control, take care of it. 

----------------------

Configuration settings.

If root cause is WiFi interference, especially not under your control, the solution should focus not on how force PC always stay connected to Deco 1. Besides, you tried that and it did not work. 

The solution and configuration settings will focus on how to force PC come back from Deco 3 to Deco 1 as soon as possible, with no interruption or disconnect.

For that, please do the following configuration changes all at the same time:

1. Set Roaming Aggressiveness to Highest in WiFi adapter's advanced settings.

This will force PC rescan WiFi mesh nodes as frequently as possible and make PC connect back to Deco 1 as soon as it can. Keeping roaming at Lowest forces PC to stay with Deco 3 until it loses signal. Only then it reconnects back to Deco 1, and that's why you see brief loss of Internet connectivity on PC.

2. Turn on Mesh for desktop in the Deco App

The point of that feature is to have Deco mesh tell PC which is the best Deco node it should be connected to. When you turn it off, PC will keep staying connected to Deco 3, because WiFi mesh is not going to tell PC reconnect to Deco 1 with better signal.

3. Keep the Preferred Band as 5GHz in WiFi adapter's advanced settings

This was the correct configuration setting you've made, but notice "Preferred." I have such network card, and "preferred" means what it means. I also have different network card where I can specify "5GHz only." I like that other network card more.

Your TP-Link Archer TXe75e adapter will try connecting on 5GHz, but if for any reason it finds connection not so good, it could abandon 5GHz and use 2.4GHz instead. Which is not desirable outcome. Luckily, you can force PC always use WiFi5, in Deco app.

4. Make sure Fast Roaming is Enabled in Deco app.

You can find it under More/Advanced.

5. Turn 2.4GHz band off for Main Network, in Deco app

This will force PC connect on 5GHz only, and also will make PC less likely to consider Deco 2 and Deco 3, because it'll see extremely weak or non-existent 5GHz WiFi signal from them, and won't be allowed to use stronger 2.4GHz instead. 

--------------------------------------------------

Alternative solution.

I am assuming your PC has Ethernet port. An alternative solution would be to get one more Deco X20, place it side by side with PC, wire PC to that X20 by Ethernet cable. 

Options
2022-07-27 00:09:39

@Alexandre. 

Thank you for the extremely detailed reply. I tried most of those and still was seeing occasional switched from Deco 1 to Deco 3, although not quite as frequently. What did actually work was just moving Deco 3 from being out in the open to putting it in a closet lol. That seemed to weaken the signal enough that now I havent seen any disconnects from Deco 1 since doing so, and Deco 3 is still able to cover the area it really needs to. Thanks for all the tips!

Options
2022-07-31 14:38:04

@Alexandre. Noticed you said " firmware 1.6 for Deco M5 only (currently)."  I could really use this feature, but I have the Dexo x3600 and the latest firmware update from a month or so ago didn't include any new features.  I've been browsing the forums and it seems like this has been requested by people for 3 years.  Any idea if they're planning to roll it out to more devices?

Options
2022-07-31 15:51:11 - last edited 2022-07-31 19:34:16

@R5Ryder 

TP-Link Support now offers beta firmware 1.6 for M9 Plus, in addition to M5. They promised firmware with that feature for some other models of Deco, but ETA is not clear. I don't know what problem you are trying to solve with this feature, but I think it is time for me to fulfill my promise and explain "why it may not be solution for your problem even when it comes with some future firmware upgrade for Deco model you have."

Most people on that forum asking for "locking device to a single Deco" are complaining their security cameras and other smart devices do not connect to the nearest Deco. The common thing between most of these devices is they run on WiFi 2.4GHz only. These people will be disappointed when firmware with "customizing clients connection preference" feature is released and they try it.

WiFi5 was adopted in 2014. If wireless device does not support WiFi5 and only runs on 2.4GHz, that means device WiFi connectivity code was written more than 8 years ago. Household WiFi mesh was not a common occurrence 8 years ago. Software developers who wrote code for wireless devices followed realities of that time: single household WiFi router. You give that security camera SSID/password, it scans environment, finds first WiFi node that accepts SSID/password and connects to it. Strong WiFi signal or weak, does not matter - wireless device assumes, there is single router broadcasting with that SSID/password. Device does not look for anything else. It finds Deco node randomly, by its scanning algorithms, and what it finds might not be the nearest Deco.

Deco mesh, just like any other WiFi mesh, uses mesh protocols to tell wireless devices if there is better WiFi mesh node to connect to. It is "Mesh" toggle at wireless device name in Deco app: leave it enabled and Deco mesh will automatically direct device to the Deco node with stronger WiFi signal.

The problem is, these mesh protocols are not supported by older wireless devices that don't know WiFi mesh exists. Deco mesh recommendations will be ignored.

So, what is really that new feature in firmware 1.6 for M5 and M9 Plus that "customizes client connection preference?" It is the same mesh protocol Deco uses to tell wireless device which node connect to. Except, instead of choosing best node automatically, it'll take your input. You will be telling Deco mesh "please, instruct that wireless device to connect to this Deco node." What will security camera do? It'll ignore it.

For WiFi mesh to work properly with wireless clients, you must have wireless clients supporting WiFi mesh.

The proper solution is hardware upgrade: replacing security cameras and other IoT devices with newer models, those that at least support WiFi5. If you find one supporting WiFi6, which was adopted in 2019, I'll tell you with utmost confidence such wireless device will know what WiFi mesh is.

With time, the situation will improve and wireless device manufacturers will all support WiFi mesh in their new products. Now that household WiFi mesh becomes common occurrence, if someone has it at their home and buys new wireless security camera which can't figure best WiFi node to connect to, that camera will be sent back to the manufacturer.

Options
2022-08-14 16:41:20
My exact situation is that there's significant 5GHz signal loss on my satellites, even though they have a dedicated 5GHz backhaul band, and even when I test them in the same room as the main. I simply can't figure out why. Since my house is so small and my satellites are basically just 'extenders' for outdoor devices, my actual ask would be to use the main as my ONLY 5GHz access point, and enable mesh ONLY on the 2.4 band. I realize that I might have a unique use case (that's the downside of tiny city houses that are >150 years old and have rock-solid exterior walls) but having a way to extend only 2.4 would be ideal.
Options