Deco M4 x 3 with Virgin Media Hitron Chita

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-07-26 13:26:33
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.0.2

I switched from residential (M350 with HUB4) to business (Voom600 with 1 static IP and the awful Hitron Chita). After 3 weeks, 2 engineers visits and 1 modem, the internet is finally working.

I bought 3 Deco M4's to extend the wi-fi range since the Hitron doesn't even cover a quarter of the house.

Also, please remember that I am in no shape or form an expert in networks so I kind of went with what I found out online.

I followed the instructions and got them all set up. Here's what I've done:

I disabled the wi-fi networks from the Hitron Chita.

1 Deco is connected to the Hitron Chita through a CAT5 cable. The other 2 are located in such a way that give us full signal everywhere in the house.

I activated a main network x 5GhZ and a guest network 2.4GhZ (I need them separately for smart bulbs and such) on the Deco app. The 2.4Ghz is not separated from the main network (there is such an option on the app, I didn't take that).

I'm supposed to have 600mb and, if connected via LAN, it goes over 600Mb. But the wi-fi is bad, by the 3rd Deco it drops to under 100Mb on 5Ghz, and the 2.4 does not work well enough for a computer to be connected to it. If I do a speed test next to the wired Deco, the speeds are better on both 5g and 2.4g, but not faster than MAYBE 200mb/s.

So, the farther I go from the main Deco, the slower the wi-fi becomes. And the 2.4 Ghz is horrible everywhere.

The Decos are configured in router mode, NOT Access Point.

I can't turn the Hitron Chita to modem mode due to having 1 static IP.

Also I can't return the Decos, I'm past the return window - I need to make due with what I have.

What have I done wrong? What can I do to improve this? Any advice (in lamen terms, pretty please) would be highly appreciated.

Many thanks!

Options
5 Reply
Re:Deco M4 x 3 with Virgin Media Hitron Chita
2022-07-26 14:38:53 - last edited 2022-07-26 15:24:40

@CmV 

I have Hitron cable router, too, and when I added Deco mesh to it and disabled WiFi at Hitron, I find that router quite satisfactory. My Hitron works fine as cable router, especially after few years of firmware updates addressing some disastrous software design decisions, but its WiFi still feels like an afterthought.

If I read you correctly, you keep running Hitron Chita in its default router mode. Is this correct? If it is, the first step would be to switch Deco mesh to Access Point mode: How to set up Deco to work in Access Point mode

Do that and measure WiFi speeds again. If they don't improve to your satisfaction, reply to that forum topic and I'll give you next step to try. Tuning WiFi mesh is an iterative process, could take multiple steps.

Options
2022-07-26 14:52:01 - last edited 2022-07-26 14:52:23

@Alexandre. 

Thanks for your reply!

Yes, the Hitron is running in its default mode, since I can't switch to modem mode. The only thing that I did was to deactivate the wi-fi networks on the Hitron so I can configure them on the Decos.

My understanding is the following:

1. Decos as router modes - this is how I have the whole thing set up now.

Deactivate the wi-fi on the Hitron, connect 1 deco via LAN to the Hitron and configure the network as normal.

2. Decos in AP mode - I haven't tried this exactly...

Connect 1 Deco via LAN to the Hitron, keep the wi-fi networks active on the hitron and configure the remaining decos as per the app instructs.

If I got this right, then I will follow the provided instructions tonight (equivalent of my no.2 point) and see how it works!

Thank you!

Options
2022-07-26 15:23:45

@CmV 

It is even less complicated. Keep what you have now: "Deactivate the wi-fi on the Hitron, connect 1 deco via LAN to the Hitron." You only need to switch Deco mesh to Access Point mode according to instructions I shared.

With Deco running in Access Point mode, Hitron router must still have its WiFi disabled. Deco will provide WiFi coverage, Hitron router will do network management (IP address allocation and such).

By the way, after you have Deco mesh running in AP mode, in Deco app WiFi Settings screen you will see a toggle to isolate Main Network from Guest Network. Here it is, see at the bottom of screen shot:

I decided I don't need to isolate my Guest network from my Main network, but you may decide differently. You will have that option.

Options
2022-07-26 15:30:42

@Alexandre. 

I tried exactly that yesterday and the internet stopped working in the entire house - every device I checked (mobiles, laptops) had that "Secured, no internet access" notification on both 5Ghz and 2.4 Ghz.

Ref isolating the guest from the main network - I don't understand what advantage that would bring me - could you please shed some light on this feature? Advantages vs disadvantages.

Thank you ever so much!

Options
2022-07-26 15:42:12

@CmV 

Let's discuss Main and Guest isolation later, there seem to be more serious issues to take care of. The objective is to make Deco mesh run in Access Point mode. That should be seamless switch, but it is not, so this must be troubleshooted first.

After you switch Deco mesh to Access Point mode according to instructions, verify that on all Deco M4 nodes their LED light is white solid. May take minute or two for LED to return to solid white.

After that, reboot one of laptops and see if it can successfully connect and has Internet access. If it does, do same with all laptops. For smartphones, it may be enough to toggle their WiFi off/on, but you might need to reboot them as well.

Options