Latest Archer A8 firmware breaks completly the router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-07-30 08:50:03 - last edited 2022-08-02 02:53:11
Model: Archer A8  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.11.0 Build 220425 Rel.43193n(4555)

Issue summary:
After updating to latest firmware release, a lot of problems showed up, having to even factory reset. Resetting(2 times) did not solve the problem, maybe even making the issue persist by loosing the stable configurations.

Hardware Version: TP-LINK Archer A8 1.0
Firmware Version: 1.11.0 Build 220425 Rel.43193n(4555)

General Settings:
- LAN IP changed from default 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.1.1
- Internet via PPPoE
- 2 OneMesh devices linked to the router
- SmartConnect enabled
- Transmit Power: high
- WPS turned OFF
- Port Forwaring

Bugs:

1. [URGENT] No internet routing(only local) even if the router has access to ISP internet:
  Local IP's are assigned to devices, they will connect to the router but only locally, the router won't router internet to these devices. However, sometimes the router will route internet but not always, having to disconnect and even reboot the router several times for some devices to get internet access.
The devices that had got luck to get internet will still get internet if not disconnected, while other devices may not get internet when connecting after disconnected.

2. [URGENT] DHCP server address reservation binding won't work:
  Setting up a mac address and IP address won't take effect, resulting DHCP will ignore the address reservation and assign a random available IP.
Setting up a server with port forwarding won't work since the server will likely get a different IP everytime something like rebooting happens and fixed IPs can lead to IPs conflict.

3. Increased wait time from "TP-Link ID" setting:

Accidentally clicking on "TP-Link ID" button will force the user to wait until TP-Link ID setting page loads, sometimes taking up to 20 seconds, without giving the user a chance to click away.

4. The "VIEW CONNECTED DEVICES" for DHCP Server Add reservation entry won't show every connected device, unlike "Network Map > Clients"

5. Not getting the hostnames:
  The router won't get all the hostnames, 80% of devices being labeled "Unknown". Editing is possible through "Network Map > Clients > DEVICE - Edit button" but it shouldn't be like this and if the address changes, the edited lable will dissappear.

6. [IMPORTANT] Trying to setup the router from LAN won't work at all:
  Trying to setup Archer A8 via LAN from 192.168.0.1(this is the default for this specific router) won't route to any existent page. You have to connect to WIFI WLAN to be able to access 192.168.0.1 in order to setup your router

*The [URGENT] and [IMPORTANT] tags represent that bug as a main critical feature

FEATURE REQUEST: A button/link integrated in the router webpage leading to a place where to file bug reports

This update can't be reverted, not only that the firmware update description describes that but I've also tried doing that.

Options
10 Reply
2022-07-31 19:06:41 - last edited 2022-08-02 02:53:11

Screenshot for bug 5:

represents a lot of devices with "Unknown" hostname

Options
2022-07-31 19:12:14 - last edited 2022-08-02 02:53:11

Screenshot for bug 4:

2dd08357b43647459e36e8874bbba545

This represents that not all IP's are listed here, take example 192.168.1.54 with mac 00-16-d4-c1-05-bc which appears in the first photo with connected devices but this one not

EDIT: 192.168.1.55 is here because meanwhile it connected, not because it doesn't exists in Network Map>Clients

Options
2022-08-01 03:04:25 - last edited 2022-08-02 02:53:11

Hello @TheRealOne78 

Thank you for reaching out to us and welcome to the TP-Link community.

Can I know how is the A8 connected to the network, what is the detailed network layout? Are there other routers in the network? As per your description, it seems that A8 detects another DHCP server in the network which uses 192.168.0.x, and that's why A8 changes its LAN IP to 192.168.1.1 automatically. You can check also what is the WAN IP address of the A8. If it is 192.168.0.x, the LAN IP cannot be in that subnet also. You may change the IP settings on the front-end router/modem to a different subnet if you require the A8 to use 192.168.0.x.

If the LAN IP of the A8 has been changed to 192.168.1.1, all the DHCP address reservations for 192.168.0.x will be invalid, and that's why the client devices are getting 192.168.1.x automatically.

Since there are different issues occurring after the firmware update, I would suggest you reset the A8 to factory default settings and reconfigure it from scratch to monitor if the settings will become normal.

If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2022-08-01 07:26:44 - last edited 2022-08-02 02:53:11

Regards @Kevin_Z,

The router is connected to internet via PPPoE, ISP is DIGI RCS&RDS NET RO, the LAN IP was changed from 192.168.0.x to 192.168.1.x in LAN settings by me because that's how I am used to work with since my old router:

b3235c4914564646a4efb2a3120ffdd2

This is the Archer A8 is my main router, connected with internet from my fiber-link MODEM. The A8 is in the "Router Mode" since my fiber MODEM is just a way to access from my ISP to my router via fiber-link, you would actually still need to connect with PPoE credentials:

cb6d0145c741455ea1f52b1fa63e38a5

The internet IP is always the same since the internet was contracted as legal person(company).

The other "routers" are 2 TP-Link extenders, a AC750 RE205 3.0 and AC1200 RE305 3.0, which are connected via OneMesh as wireless mode, since it's the best approach because the ethernet ports are only half-duplex. They are set to get DHCP from the main router, which the router should also reserve a DHCP for each device. All devices have fixed mac addresses, not random ones, so they won't change their mac.(I even made a table for all devices, their MAC and assigned IPs that worked in the old firmware.

The router was already factory reset 3 times since the update, tho the third time was reset from physical button and it seems to be better?! All the devices are finally able to have internet access now(however this time I have not connected the extenders and I've not reserved any DHCP IP)

Options
2022-08-02 02:51:39 - last edited 2022-08-02 02:53:11

@TheRealOne78 

Thank you very much for the detailed issue description. It's glad to hear the A8 is back online successfully now. Without the two range extenders, are all devices connected to the internet fine when connecting to the A8 directly? If yes, please try to add the extenders back to the internet to monitor the performance.

Since you are not in the US, I will transfer your thread to our global community, and we can continue discussing the issue there.

If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2022-08-02 08:53:27

Hi @Kevin_Z 

I found after all where this thread was moved, the old thread gave me a 404.

I will try to connect the 2 extenders back, see what happens for a while and report back.

Meanwhile, most of the hostnames are still "Unkown" and I didn't configure any DHCP reservation yet and the internet connection seems to be stable with poor signal in some areas since I didn't plug any of the extenders.

- Real

Options
2022-08-02 11:04:41

I have a new minor bug where the router displays a device as 5G instead of 2.4G.

My intercom tablet doesn't have a 5Ghz module, it can only connect to 2.4Ghz, however it displays 5G:

But this is not breaking too much, it's just so the TP-Link employes are aware of this issue

Options
2022-08-03 02:44:30

@TheRealOne78 

If some of the devices display as UNKNOWN when connecting to the router, it's probably that you are using a Private Address on those devices. Private Address randomizes your MAC address so you cannot be tracked from network to network using your device ID. While this is a great privacy feature for public wireless, this also results in complications when connecting to your regular home network.

You may read this article to understand that better or modify the Private Address settings on those devices.

Options
2022-08-03 08:09:43

Hi  @Kevin_Z 

All devices in my house are already using fixed MAC addresses(except one device I can't really set to not randomize mac) in order for DHCP to know what IPs to assign to which devices. If randomized mac was enabled, DHCP assigning wouldn't work and eveything would be a mess.

Not only that but I always check my networking settings when installing linux distributions in order for everything to work as expected. After all I am a linux nerd.

I also put back the extenders back, the connections seems to be still stable. I also DHCP assigned a few important devices like my XVR, intercom and main computer. The mac addresses were choosed by the UI list instead of manually typing the mac addresses, and it seems to work well, however in order to do that I had to restart the router quite a few times because the DHCP devices list is broken and doesn't list every device.

Options
Re:Latest Archer A8 firmware breaks completly the router
2022-08-19 08:43:38

Hi,

This issue stalled

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 895

Replies: 10

Related Articles