Known Connection Alerts

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Known Connection Alerts

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Known Connection Alerts
Known Connection Alerts
2022-08-01 04:37:23 - last edited 2022-09-28 03:25:47
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.5.4 build 20220113 Rel. 38349

Okay TP-Link I think it's time for a real conversation about known connection alerts not working. People have been posting about this for months and we get the same answers about access point vs router mode. The bottom line is it doesn't work and you know it. So, why isn't this being addressed? 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Known Connection Alerts-Solution
2022-09-28 03:25:42 - last edited 2022-09-28 03:47:07

@David-TP - We finally have a solution to the problem. It's not the most elegant, but it does work. Here is a snippet of an email I received from technical support:

"Due to the number of clients is large (75), we suspect that Deco's memory or CPU usage is too high, which may cause the failure to add Connection Alert entries. Please try to power off one or two Satellite Deco to reduce the memory usage of the Main Deco, and then try to add a Connection Alert entry again to see if it works."[sic]

So, what I did is cut the power to my house with the exception of my modem and main Deco unit. Sure enough, I could (and did) create as many known device connection alerts as I pleased. Unfortunately, as soon as I added my devices back to the network I was unable to add any additional connection alerts. However, the connection alerts I did add are working, albeit slowly. 

This does make sense to me because anytime I checked my Deco network via the web portal it showed CPU usage pegged out at 100%. I've reported my findings to the support team and hopefully they will find a more user friendly solution. In the meantime I wanted to update you so that there is some solution for the next person who may encounter this issue. 

Recommended Solution
Options
12 Reply
Re:Known Connection Alerts
2022-08-02 07:47:30

@DiverRich 

Hi, nice to see you again.

The original post(225256) talked about Access points at the very beginning and later some users got the same error on wireless router mode.

Currently, Connection alerts are not supported in access point mode and the latest APP version does not have this feature under Access Point mode anymore.

So we mainly talked about the error when creating connection alerts on wireless router mode.

As you can see there was some feedback before, during the further troubleshooting with the senior engineers, some users fixed this issue by changing to a different network/testing another mobile phone and others had a factory reset already and was able to set up connection alerts since then. After that, the engineers also want to reproduce the same issue in the lab and found out the connection alerts did work properly.

So most of the previous feedback has been fixed by different kinds of suggestions and some users did not provide further updates anymore. Till now, This issue is still suspended but we think it is more due to the current network connection on the smartphone.

And if you are able to reproduce this issue all the time, our engineers would love to cooperate with you to finally address this issue.

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
2022-08-02 14:38:24

@David-TP - I stil have this issue. I've never used AP mode. The problem has persisted over multiple phones and tablets. I've replaced my modem twice, completely erased and rebuilt my network, and even replaced my M4 router. The problem started after a specific app update and has not gone away. I can reproduce the issue anytime I like by simply trying to set up a notification. I've atached a screen shot from a few minutes ago. I'd be happy to supply your engineers with whatever info I can, because I'd also like to see this finally fixed. 

Options
2022-08-04 07:29:33

@DiverRich 

Thank you very much for the update.

Could you please also refer to the following picture to send me the APP log:

Options
2022-08-13 04:50:41

@David-TP - I was just cleaning out my junk e-mail folder and saw an email letting me know that you replied. I sent my logs a few minutes ago as requested. 

Options
2022-08-15 11:24:56

@DiverRich 

Thank you very much for the update.

I got your email and have forwarded it to the senior engineers.

Please refer to #TKID220801981 to get further suggestions.

Best regards.

Options
2022-09-20 05:43:39

@David-TP - I'd like to point out this still hasn't been addressed and still doesn't work in the 3.0 beta app software either. 

Options
2022-09-23 09:09:37 - last edited 2022-09-23 09:11:05

@DiverRich 

Sorry, and could you please help me submit the APP log again, on the beta App 3.0?

And Did it still happen almost every time like we discussed this issue last time?

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
2022-09-23 15:45:14

@DiverRich I just tried it both on my M1 Mac Mini and my iPhone SE2. I got the error several times on each, but after hitting Done 3 or 4 times, the connection was created. Haven't gotten any alerts yet, so I don't know if it's actually working. Mac Mini is running the latest beta, iPhone is on the stock app.

Interestingly, when I go back into the app to look at the alert settings, it misidentifies the selected computer.

Options
2022-09-23 16:24:20

@nottooloud I wasn't aware it was possible to set up connection alerts via Mac. How are you doing that? When I log into my M4 via a Safari, I barely get any information. I can't even get the client list to update, so it always shows zero clients despite having about 75 connected. And it always shows CPU load at 100%.

Options
2022-09-23 16:37:46 - last edited 2022-09-23 16:44:04

@David-TP it's not almost everytime, it's 100% of the time. The feature hasn't worked ever since it stopped working months and months ago. Just FYI the process for getting an email to TP Link via the app is pretty convouted, but I figured it out. I also sent a video showing that my router is in in Wi-Fi router mode and then exactly what happens when I try to create a connect alert. Despite the app being upgraded the result is exactly the same. 

EDIT: Also, the reason I posted here about the beta app is because despite being in the bata program I don't seem to have access to the beta forums and I've already raised this issue here. So, I don't think this is an application issue but an issue with the hardware itself. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 861

Replies: 12

Related Articles