Disable "allow guests to access my local network" has no effect for guest

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-01 20:21:18 - last edited 2022-08-03 02:48:33
Tags: #Guest Network
Model: Archer AX50  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.11 Build 20210730 rel.54485(4555)

The option "allow guests to access my local network", doesn't work like expected. It seems like it works the other way arround. I can't see their Chromecast devices, but they can see mine and cast to it.

Is this expected behaviour, am I doing something wrong or is the function not working properly?

Seems like the same problem as Archer D7 Guest Network Problem and also HUGE security issue! Guests on C9 v1 were able to delete files from my server, even with set to not allow LAN access!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Disable "allow guests to access my local network" has no effect for guest-Solution
2022-08-02 09:19:54 - last edited 2022-08-03 02:48:33

@Kevin_Z 

I use my router as the main DHCP server connected to a TP-link mediaconverter. It's NOT set in Access Point Mode.

I enable/disable  "allow guests to access my local network" last night from within the app, to see if that had any effect, and I seems it did smiley. From my Android device (connected to the guest network) it isn't possible to find Chromecast devices or connect to my NAS.

A bit strange because I did do a reboot after disable  "allow guests to access my local network" and this had no effect. It seems like the OP from Archer D7 Guest Network Problem was on track. Still not te desirable solution, but glad it now works like expected.

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Disable "allow guests to access my local network" has no effect for guest
2022-08-02 08:02:22

@Green_Nerd 

Can you please confirm how is the Archer AX50 connected to the network, is it working as a Router or Access Point mode?

If it is working as the main router, and "Allow guests to access my local network" is disabled, the wireless clients on your guest network are not able to communicate with the devices connected to your router’s LAN ports or main network.

However, if it is working as an AP, this could be no longer available for configuration. Imagine when the router is working in AP mode, and it is allowed to configure isolation between the main and the guest, the devices connected to the guest will not be able to access the internet, as they cannot communicate with the gateway in this configuration.

Options
Re:Disable "allow guests to access my local network" has no effect for guest-Solution
2022-08-02 09:19:54 - last edited 2022-08-03 02:48:33

@Kevin_Z 

I use my router as the main DHCP server connected to a TP-link mediaconverter. It's NOT set in Access Point Mode.

I enable/disable  "allow guests to access my local network" last night from within the app, to see if that had any effect, and I seems it did smiley. From my Android device (connected to the guest network) it isn't possible to find Chromecast devices or connect to my NAS.

A bit strange because I did do a reboot after disable  "allow guests to access my local network" and this had no effect. It seems like the OP from Archer D7 Guest Network Problem was on track. Still not te desirable solution, but glad it now works like expected.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Disable "allow guests to access my local network" has no effect for guest
2022-08-03 02:48:09

@Green_Nerd 

That's great, glad to hear that works.yes

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1800

Replies: 3

Tags