Archer AX55 - Mesh with 4 of them

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-02 13:48:35
Model: Archer AX55  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi everyone, 

I am thinking about buying 4 pieces of Archer AX55 to make a stable Wifi over a bigger area. 

My questions is, it is possible to use the Onemesh technology with those 4 routers? I don't want to use repeaters, because all TP-Link repeaters cost almost the same as the routers but have half of the speed (AX55 have got 2,4 Gbit on 5 Ghz and all Repeaters only 1,2 Gbit). In addition, I don't need the "repeater functionality" because all routers are connected with each other via ethernet.

Is it possible to use TP-Links one mesh with 4 routers that are connected via ehternet cable? How do I have to set up that, I guess, I have to define 1 "main" router where I add the other routers to the mesh network when logging in via browser interface? Or do I have to buy only 1 router and 3 repeaters to use it like that? 

Thank you in advance

Options
11 Reply
Re:Archer AX55 - Mesh with 4 of them
2022-08-02 15:27:21

@korn4ever It won't work.  OneMesh requires only one OneMesh-capable router, and the rest have to be OneMesh-capable extenders.  They also only connect wirelessly.  They don't allow for wired extentions in OneMesh mode.  The router also has to be used as a router, and not in AP-mode.

If you really want a mesh system, and you haven't bought anything yet, it might be better to buy a real mesh system.  The OneMesh stuff seems like more of an afterthought.  Like, I have this router already, and want mesh capability, but I don't want to replace it.

Options
2022-08-02 16:57:56

@david3 Thank you for your answer. I googled to find a good cablebound mesh-system, but all that I found were devises where I have 1 router that is cabled to my DSL modem and some WLAN repeaters. I would like to use my LAN connection between the devices, is such a system existing? Do you have a recommendation? 

The Archer AX55 should have over 500 MBit Wifi with 10 meter distance and 1 wall in between which is quite good. Is there any Mesh stuff that can do that? How about the Huawei AX3 Quad or Netbear Orbi RBK50, would they be ok for my purpose? 

Thank you. 

Options
2022-08-02 17:19:09

Or is there any possibilty other than Mesh to use 4 usual access points or wifi routers but have a smooth Wifi, so no interruptions when I go with my mobile device from one room to another? Until now, always the mobile device always tried to keep connection with the old router but the wifi signal was bad, instead of connecting to the new one...

Options
2022-08-03 01:51:49

@korn4ever 

david3 is right, the AX55s cannot build up a Onemesh system with a wired connection, but Deco mesh can do it. Deco nodes can be connected to each other via Ethernet cables and establish a real mesh system. For more details, please visit Deco Mesh Wi-Fi and Whole-home Mesh Wi-Fi.

Options
2022-08-03 03:56:43

@korn4ever 

I've tried, without mesh, to get smooth roaming on my phone, but have been unable to.  It usually drops out for 10+ seconds while it switches.

There are more professional ways to get smooth roaming with access points, like the business-class Omada EAP's using a separate controller.  But other than that, the mesh systems like the Deco are built to do that easily for home use.

Options
2022-08-03 17:49:15

@david3 thank you, I have now checked out the TP-Link Deco X50. The Wifi specs are the same, but when checking out several tests the AX55 seems to deliver 400-500 MBit when going to the next room while the X50 seems to only deliver 250-300 MBit within the next room. Of course, these tests are done independelty with different houses, walls etc. However, 250-300 MBit should be still enough for me. 

However, my question is, there are packages of 1 2 or 3 pieces of X50. In case I need for, can I buy 2 packs of 2 or 1 pack of 1 and 1 pack of 3? Can I add some pieces later if needed? Alternatively asked, is there a limit how many X50 you can use? 

Options
2022-08-03 17:52:07

One more question, now I have a router with included DSL modem from my provider. I don't need to use the Wifi or DHCP from this router with disabled Wifi. I would like to use the X50 only as an access point so that my actual modem stays for delivering the internet. Is that possible with Deco? 

Options
2022-08-03 19:59:47

@korn4ever 

Hi,

Check out the following two webpages. They explain everything in detail.

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/1842/

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/2399/

Options
2022-08-04 13:28:09

Thank you, that helped a lot and answered all my questions! 

Options
2022-08-06 09:26:57

@woozle Thanks again to all of you for your answers. I have now installed the X50 mesh routers, performance is much better than before (not surprising). Many features are much easier to apply by mobile app than before and they automatically spread to other X50 devices.

But I miss some features that all my recent routers had and wasn't able to find answers with Google. Could you maybe help? 

1. Is it possible to choose the wifi mode anywhere? I only need 802.11 n/ac/ax so it should be a performance improvement to disable a/b/g. 

2. I changed the IP address of the devise from 192.168.68.1 to 10.0.0.207 when I was in Wifi Router operation mode. After changing to Access Point mode, I can't change or see the IP address and don't reach the router by any of those 2 IP addresses. Is there a possibility to reach the router in Wifi mode through browser (=IP Address)? Anyway the mobile app works always. 

Thank you

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1547

Replies: 11