Can I add powerline adapter and range extender to Deco M4?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-04 20:46:06 - last edited 2022-08-04 20:49:11
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Our sea property consists of two houses (Hytte 1 and Hytte 2), one sea house (Naust) and pool (Basseng).

Today, Hytte 1 and Hytte 2 are connected using 3 Deco M4 in mesh, and it's working great. Hytte 1 is where the main router is located.

We wish to extend the network in order to work with the pool/basseng and the sea house/naust.

The problem with the pool is a lot of mountain and concrete, but since it's on the same power circuit as Hytte 1, a powerline adapter will probably do the trick. The sea house is 90m from Hytte 1, and will need some kind of extender.

Important: All devices needs to be on the same network in order to be able to add them to our smart house system, so that we can remotely control each location (being Hytte 1, Hytte 2, Basseng and Naust) from the same smarthouse hub (located in Hytte 2).

My questions are:

1) Which powerline units are compatible with my Deco M4 mesh, so that my IoT units in the pool machine room will be on the same network as my smart house in Hytte 2? Will a WPA4220KIT work, or do I need 2 Deco P9 units in order to get the same network?

2) Which products do I need in order to get wifi in the sea house/naust? I guess one antenna (which?) in Hytte 1, one antenna in the Naust, and maybe a mesh unit(?) in the Naust in order to get the Naust on the same network as my smart house in Hytte 1(?).

Options
3 Reply
Re:Can I add powerline adapter and range extender to Deco M4?
2022-08-05 06:54:59

@Gullars 

Hi, welcome to the community.

In theory, the powerline adapter TL-WPA4220kit will work and the devices that gonna connect to WPA4220 would be on the same network as Hytte 1.

For the sea house, the distance is far beyond the range of Deco Mesh units. The bussiness Access points would be a nice choice, such as a pair of CPE210:

https://www.tp-link.com/en/business-networking/outdoor-radio/cpe210/

Then you could add an access point to the second CPE210 to extend wireless coverage in the sea house.

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
2022-08-05 08:19:21

@David-TP 

thanks! Just to be absolutely sure: I add one CPE210 to Hytte 1 and one CPE210 to Naust, and then connect a Deco M4 to the CPE210 in the Naust, and everything will be on the same network?

Options
2022-08-06 14:44:27

@Gullars 

I have now ordered a WPA7517 kit (instead of WPA4220 kit, due to availability). That will hopefully fix the pool machine room problem.

Then we're left with the Naust/sea house. If i buy two CPE210, which access point should I buy in order to get wifi in the Naust/sea house?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 848

Replies: 3

Related Articles