Extend WiFi Range

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Extend WiFi Range

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Extend WiFi Range
Extend WiFi Range
2022-08-09 11:28:07

Hi, 

My current setup is VM Hub3.0 in modem mode  It is connect to an Archer AX23 via Ethernet to the WAN port on the router. This is all located on the bottom floor of my house. My house has a large loft which is being used as a gaming room. i have my PS5 and Xbox up there and its where i spend most of my time when im at home. I have an Ethernet cable running from the router downstairs to the loft which allows me one high speed wired connection ~350Mbps. 

The WiFi of the router doesn't reach that well into the loft. We have a cheap solution that is a Netgear range extender that plugs into the wall and provides a very very small increase in signal strength. However the internet speed is still very very slow, around 1-10Mbps. 

i has wondering what is my best solution to all this is. I would like to have another router upstairs so i can connect wireless devices like my phone so i get high speed connections as well as having extra LAN ports to connect my consoles onto. 

The reason for this new thread is for me to get a better understanding for my options. I dont know which router to get and now im learning new things like bridge mode and OneMesh and im still a noob when it comes to networking. 

Also, when i first setup the first router to my Hub3.0 it kept coming up with no internet connect with 0s on the IP address, mac address and everything else. I tried everything 3 times and still nothing and I was about to give up. Near the end I did this. The Hub3.0 was connected to my MacBook by Ethernet when i went from Router to Modem Mode. i then disconnected the Ethernet from the Hub3.0 and connected it to the router. That's where i went onto the MAC Address and "cloned  mac address from current device". After this everything worked. I got an IP address and everything. The problem is i dont know what a mac address is and wether or not i did the right thing, but i have been using this router for about 2 months and i haven't had a problem. Will this cause any problems? 

Options
1 Reply
Re:Extend WiFi Range
2022-08-18 06:31:55 - last edited 2022-08-18 06:32:30

Hello   @Rajjj 

Thank you for being interested in TP-Link routers and extender products. 

If possible, it is recommended to consider an Ethernet connection to extend Wi-Fi network to the upstairs in the loft. 

For Ethernet connection, you could consider a basic 1Gb Wi-Fi router and set it up in AP mode. (wired to the first router), Wifi 6 models recommended for higher speed. 

If you have use Wireless, you may take a look at TP-link Poweline kit (it requires the powerline unit working in the same house powerline/ under the same power meter), the speed is mainly decided by the house powerline quality/ environment. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 489

Replies: 1

Related Articles