Can I still connect services to my router/modem whilst the deco is connected?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-09 15:31:03

I've not yet bought a deco mesh system but just wanted to check something before buying one.

I've got 3 devices currently connected to my router.

Once the deco is connected can I still have these devices attached to the router or do they now have to be connected to the Deco?

Thanks

Options
8 Reply
Re:Can I still connect services to my router/modem whilst the deco is connected?
2022-08-10 06:24:08

@Celesteray 

Hi, most of the Deco devices have wireless router and access point modes.

When it is on wireless router mode, these three devices need to be connected to Deco.

But if it is on access point mode, it doesn't matter whether they are connected to old router or Deco.

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
Re:Can I still connect services to my router/modem whilst the deco is connected?
2022-08-10 13:21:40 - last edited 2022-08-10 13:30:19

@David-TP 

Thank you for answering my question.

I have another one...

So can I have each deco on different modes?

So I could have two as access points and one as a wi-fi point?

Also it looks like most Deco's only have two access points so the one that is plugged in to the router will only be able to have one device plugged into it if it's in wireless mode. (I have wired connections for the TV, PlayStation and a sonos)

What do I do about the other two devices that I want to have as wired connections if I wanted the Deco that's plugged into the router to be wireless (other than make them wireless connections)?

Or will I not need to have these as wired connections now as the mesh will give a better wireless connection?

Thanks

Options
2022-08-11 06:32:45

@Celesteray 

Hi, if you want all the Deco units under one mesh network, they need to work in the same mode, either wireless router mode or access point mode.

Most Deco units only have two Ethernet ports and if you need more, you could add a network switch to extend the Deco, such as:

main Deco----network switch----satellite Deco and TV, PlayStation and a sonos

or main Deco---<wireless or Ethernet cable>---satellite Deco---network switch--TV, PlayStation and a sonos

General questions about Ethernet Backhaul feature on your Deco

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
2022-08-11 07:09:45

@David-TP 

Thank you so much - this is really helpful. As you can tell I'm a bit of a newbie to all of this.

I've decided to go with the M5 mesh system so will have a bit of an experiment and see how I get on. Some of the devices might be ok on wireless once the mesh is set up. 

Much appreciated

Options
2022-08-11 07:22:13

@David-TP 

And is this the type of thing that I'd need if I needed a wired connection?

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/business-networking/easy-smart-switch/tl-sg108pe/

Thanks again!

Options
2022-08-11 08:19:42

@David-TP 

Or would this be suitable?

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/soho-switch/tl-sf1005d/

Thank you

Options
2022-08-12 03:50:45

@Celesteray 

Hi, yes, both TL-SF1005D and TL-SG108PE would be ok. 

TL-SG108PE would be better since the Ethernet ports of SF1005D is up to 100m/s.

Best regards.

Options
2022-08-13 08:14:15
Thank you so much for you help - much appreciated!
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 298

Replies: 8