AX6000v1: Wired devices slow to connect

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-15 14:59:15 - last edited 2022-08-15 15:00:42
Model: Archer AX6000  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.4 Build 20210719 rel.12163

A couple months ago I purchased an AX6000 (which I later discovered to be hardware revision "1") to replace a miserable old Netgear, largely because I was going to be traveling for several weeks and needed the OpenVPN server function.  The good news is that the VPN server performed quite well while I was on the road and I was mostly able to do what I needed at the time.

I installed the router with somewhat minimal testing before leaving for a trip, though I was excited about having eight GbE LAN ports because my previous routers have never provided enough physical connectivity.  Soon after returning home and beginning to tinker with it I began to realize that all equipment physically connected to the router via cable is experiencing a rather irritating delay before being granted network access.  The behavior is reminiscent of issues with autonegotiation and is most noticeable when powering on my living room television or PS5 - both of which sit at a "this feature is not available because you have no network access" screen for 10-20 seconds before finally reporting a successful connection.

Otherwise the router appears to behave fine.  Logs available via the web management portal provide zero useful info.  I contacted TP-Link support via chat and was instructed to wire a laptop to the router and get the full speed test results there, and then with the same laptop connected directly to my modem.  Okay, fine... but my chat session timed out before I could report the results and frankly it's not going to help me here.

Any advice?

Options
7 Reply
Re:AX6000v1: Wired devices slow to connect
2022-08-17 09:28:27

@2112 

When saying "all equipment physically connected to the router", can I know what are they except for the TV and PS5? 

Are they all connected to the AX6000 directly with Ethernet cables, or are they connected to the AX6000 via another switch?

Are there any other range extenders connecting to the AX6000 via Onemesh? If there are no Onemesh extenders, please try disabling the Onemesh on the AX6000, then monitor again.

Options
2022-08-28 01:10:32

Thank you for the response, @Kevin_Z.  Sorry for being so long getting back.

When saying "all equipment physically connected to the router", can I know what are they except for the TV and PS5? 

Several devices.  A PC I use for storage that is only occasionally powered on, another PC I use to host VMs, a Mac Mini, a BluRay/sound system.  Every now and again I hook up another device, usually a laptop.

Are they all connected to the AX6000 directly with Ethernet cables, or are they connected to the AX6000 via another switch?

All directly connected to the AX6000 with either 3- or 6-ft ethernet cables.

Are there any other range extenders connecting to the AX6000 via Onemesh? If there are no Onemesh extenders, please try disabling the Onemesh on the AX6000, then monitor again.

I do have an RE500X range extender connected via OneMesh, located upstairs.  This physical connection lag was occurring before I added the range extender, though.

Options
2022-08-29 06:58:35

@2112 

Thank you very much for getting back with the detailed info.

Can you please do a comparison test by disabling Onemesh on the AX6000 and removing the RE500X from the network to monitor the connectivity on those devices that are connected to the AX6000 physically? You may check if there are still delay when the Onemesh feature is completely disabled on the AX11000.

Options
2022-08-30 00:40:21

@Kevin_Z as they say, "never trust a user." I genuinely thought the problem existed before I added the extender, however:

- Disabled OneMesh, rebooted router: no more negotiation lag with the wired devices.
- Re-enabled OneMesh: still no negotiation lag.
- Re-added RE500X: hello, negotiation lag.

The firmware on the RE500X is apparently also the latest, "1.0.4 Build 20210611 Rel. 180628".

Can this issue be fixed, or is there a temporary remedy?

Options
2022-08-30 06:11:48

@2112 

Thank you so much for the follow-up test. This will help a lot for the engineers to investigate the issue you are experiencing.

To assist and figure it out efficiently, I've forwarded your case to the TP-Link support engineers who will contact you with your registered email address later. Please pay attention to your email box for follow-up.

Options
2022-09-14 15:04:48

@Kevin_Z tech support indicated that I may have two DHCP servers running in my environment causing the problem, and it turned out that I had DHCP enabled both on the AX6000 and the extender.  Strangely they wanted me to provide access to my network for troubleshooting (particularly with people working from home more frequently these days that really should not be a first- or even second-line strategy) instead of just suggesting that DHCP should be disabled on the extender... but the moral of the story is that the original problem is now solved.

I do have one more important question: Is it possible to access more useful logs on the AX6000?  Perhaps ssh'ing into the router is possible?  The logs presented via the GUI are completely useless.

Options
2022-09-16 06:56:43

@2112 

Thank you very much for getting back to the community, and I'm glad to know you have figured it out. Can I know how did you find out there are 2 DHCP servers in the network? Did you enable the DHCP server by mistake on the range extender?

Regarding the Remote Access, I can explain. At TP-Link, in some very rare cases, the support engineers might suggest remote access for our customers to make the support experience less complicated. However, they will not push you to do so if you are uncomfortable or tell them no. So just tell them you don't want to do that, and that will be OK.

As per your request for more useful logs on the router, I would forward it to the R&D and ask them to consider if that will be possible in future updates.

Options