Deco X90 does not work with Chromecast with Google TV

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-17 01:49:46
Model: Deco X90  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: latest

Hello,

as X90 have same SSID for 2.4GHz and 5GHz, the Google Chromecast with Google TV works randomly in this network.

If it works, I can cast Youtube from my phone to the Chromecast

I can force it to work if I turn off 5G network, so to make all my device on the same side.

It work temporarily after I turn back on both 2.4G and 5G.

However, after some time, it looks like the router will do something such that even I see my phone and Chromecast is on the same network (e.g. SSID + same frequency), the phone cannot see the Chromecast.

There has no other configuration in the app that allow me to try to fix it. Can you take a look? I am happy to help if you may need more info from my side.
(I am a software engineer so I should able to follow your technical instruction)

Options
8 Reply
Re:Deco X90 does not work with Chromecast with Google TV
2022-08-23 08:53:37

@BonBonBon 

Hi, have you checked when the smartphone failed to cast to Google TV, are they connected to the same Deco or a different Deco X90?

There are some suggestions for your reference:

1. Please try to connect the Google TV via Ethernet connection if possible.

--If not, please connect Chromecast TV to 5ghz, then turn off "Mesh Technology" on the Chromecast TV.

2. Reserve a fixed IP address for the Chromecast TV.

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
2022-08-23 09:44:56

- same Deco, yes; because there is only 1 Deco in this network

- mesh technology; turned off but does not help.

- let me try the reserved IP. But may I know once a device has a reserved IP, does it means it will stay on the same frequency?

Options
2022-08-24 03:03:51 - last edited 2022-08-24 03:08:53

@BonBonBon 

Hi, reserving IP would only make TV get the same IP address every time it reconnects to Deco.

And Does it help with address reservation?

If not, how often are you able to reproduce this issue?

By the way, please also turn off "fast roaming" under Deco APP>More>Advanced>Fast roaming.

Thank you very much.

Options
2022-08-24 04:44:21

thanks for the further information. Will definitely try it out.

One question: may I know in the Deco, in the main network (not the guest one) is there any AP isolation / client isolation?

I have another home has Deco M9 Plus (2 M9 plus devices in the same network) and never have the similar problem. But now even one X90 has it.. so I wonder if internally in the X90 segment / isolate the client.

I can check by doing some port scans but i think your information will be more reliable.

thanks!

Options
2022-08-24 07:00:18

@BonBonBon 

Hi, In the main network, there is no AP isolation/client isolation.

Best regards.

Options
2022-08-29 07:58:43

@BonBonBon X90 is incompatible with almost all IoT devices from all brands (even TAPO, which are made by TP-Link themself) and TP-Link know about that. However they are unable to solve the issue, because you know - they already sold the product and they don't care.

Frustrated Deco (X90, M9 Plus, M4R, E4) & Tapo (C200, C210) owner looking for solutions to use the investment in them. Expensive Plastic...
Options
2022-08-29 15:29:35

@Momcho I can feel your frustration. I have M9 plus in another home and it did take me quite some time to resolve similar issues. e.g. the first few months the Dyson Link never work in that network.

I have no experience with other mesh solution so I am not sure if that is the problem of TP-Link or the protocol itself.

Options
2022-12-13 01:35:59

I have a similar problem. 2 x x90 Deco routers covering my large 2 storey home really well, everything's connected and FAST. But trying to cast from my Pixel 7 to some of the devices on my network can be a huge pain, they just don't show up as cast devices. This includes some Google Home mini's (we have 9 of 'em), and most of my Google Chromecast/TV devices. Some show up as castable, others just don't appear.

If I factory reset the device sometimes I can then see it. In one case on my main TV, nothing would work. In frustration I uninstalled Google Home from my phone and re-installed, and the main TV now shows up as castable.

I've just turned "Mesh Technology" off on all the devices that don't move. I have Fast Roaming enabled on my Deco network 'coz I want our phones to take advantage of that tech as we move about the house, but if the issue continues I'll try turning that off.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 892

Replies: 8