What Deco integrated resolver bring except tplinkdeco.net

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-17 14:45:55 - last edited 2022-08-18 10:13:10
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.6.0

Hello,

Except the ability to resolv tplinkdeco.net to the IP address of the main Deco, what are the benefits to use it as resolver in the network and not to use directly 1.1.1.1 for example?

I suspect some strange behaviors sometimes (domain not resolving when they should) and as I am not able to say how to reproduce systematically the bug I would prefer to stop using the Deco integrated DNS resolver.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:What Deco integrated resolver bring except tplinkdeco.net-Solution
2022-08-18 10:07:40 - last edited 2022-08-18 10:13:10

@Nardol 

Hi, The default DNS server assigned for clients is normally the router LAN IP and since Deco does not support local DNS resolution, the main use is to resolve tplinkdeco.net.

If you do have an internal DNS server, such as pi-hole for Ads blocking, you could use Pi-Hole IP as the LAN address-How to use Pi-Hole DNS Server on TP-Link routers

But if it is a third-party public DNS, I would suggest putting it on the WAN DNS directly-How to change DNS server settings on my Deco

Thank you very much,

best regards.

Recommended Solution
Options
1 Reply
Re:What Deco integrated resolver bring except tplinkdeco.net-Solution
2022-08-18 10:07:40 - last edited 2022-08-18 10:13:10

@Nardol 

Hi, The default DNS server assigned for clients is normally the router LAN IP and since Deco does not support local DNS resolution, the main use is to resolve tplinkdeco.net.

If you do have an internal DNS server, such as pi-hole for Ads blocking, you could use Pi-Hole IP as the LAN address-How to use Pi-Hole DNS Server on TP-Link routers

But if it is a third-party public DNS, I would suggest putting it on the WAN DNS directly-How to change DNS server settings on my Deco

Thank you very much,

best regards.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 433

Replies: 1

Related Articles