Deco M5, network switches and multiple cameras

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-18 21:14:17
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I am aiming to set up a number of nature cameras on the outside of our house and in the garden. I would like to connect and power them using POE rather than use WIFI. 

I currently have three Deco M5's and am trying to understand the best way to get the cables to the cameras. My current thought is as the diagram below. Where the double lines represent wired connections and the arrows wifi.

The Deco to which the switch would be connected is next too one of our outside walls that is hardly seen, as it is in an alley, so my idea is to run the cables up that wall on the outside to reduce the work required inside to drilling a single hole for the cable(s). 

My questions are:

1) Is the above network possible with Deco M5's?

2) If yes. Should the switch be inside the house, so the outside wall would be between the switch and the cameras presumably needing multiple ethernet ports on the indoor walls - one for each camera?

3) Or outside, so the wall between the deco and the switch which presumably would need only 1 network port inside with the cameras connected to the switch outside?

4) Or is the above all wrong and there is a better way to get POE cables to multiple outdoor cameras?

Any help would be appriciated as I know very little about all this.

Regards

Options
1 Reply
Re:Deco M5, network switches and multiple cameras
2022-08-19 02:54:35

@peterunsfast 

Welcome to the community.

The above network would work well. Since the satellite Decos are linked to the main Deco via wireless backhaul, the distance and barriers, such as walls/doors will block quite a lot of wireless signals. It is suggested to put all the Deco nodes inside and as for the POE switch, since it is connected to the nearest M5 via Ethernet cable, it did not make a huge difference whether it is inside or outside. You could choose a more convenient one.

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 299

Replies: 1