Combine with Existing TP-Link Powerline Adapters

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-20 11:51:31
Tags: #Access Point Mode #Deco Lab #Powerline Adapters
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi all,

I am hoping to get some advice on using a combination of the M5 Deco Mesh network and existing powerline adapters.

Currently I have 3 powerline adapters and I am able to move around my house and automatically get the best signal, however there are a couple of black spots. I tried to add the M5 Decos using the same SSID on Access Point Mode and setup was fine, however now it appears that my phone will stay connected through one of the Decos/Powerline adapter and not switch to the other when there is a better signal. Because I am trying this using the same SSID I have to disconnect from the network and reconnect to get the best signal.

Is there any way to setup a network with powerline adapters and the deco devices on the same SSID and have my phone, et  automatically get the best signal through whichever device is best?

Thanks in advance for the help, it is much appreciated!

Options
3 Reply
Re:Combine with Existing TP-Link Powerline Adapters
2022-08-20 13:12:46

@Rancey 

Can you share model name of TP-Link powerline adapters you are using? I am trying to figure if they are they just powerline, or powerline+WiFi. 

Options
2022-08-20 20:41:49

@Alexandre. 

I am using the following kit: 

https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/powerline/tl-wpa8630p-kit/

Thanks for your help.

Options
2022-08-20 21:11:34 - last edited 2022-08-20 21:12:02

@Rancey 

Unfortunately, you can't combine TP-Link powerline WiFi network with Deco mesh WiFi network. Deco will always run its own WiFi network, even in Access Point mode, even if you have same SSID for both. That would explain issues with switching between WiFi nodes you see.

I would suggest to set different SSIDs for Deco and for TP-Link powerline WiFi network. Then, you'll need to assess how you want to proceed from this point, with realization you'll always have two different independent WiFi networks, if you plan to keep both TP-Link powerline adapters with their WiFi, and Deco. 

Options