MR600 V2 failing to download SKY programs, may need to change MTU size

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-29 18:58:24 - last edited 2022-09-05 09:29:43
Model: Archer MR600  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.5.0 0.9.1 v0001.0 Build 210914 Rel.59719n

Hi, I have an MR600 V2 running with a SMARTY SIM (same as THREE).  I am having problems downloading SKY Q programs.  I installed the system around Feb 2022 and it worked fine.  Sometime in June 2022 it started failing to download SKY Q films or series.  It would start the download and then fail after a few minutes with errors such as 'Remote Network Problem'.  Sometimes it works and downloads the whole film, but this is very rare.  Sometimes it fails after 20 minutes, but normally it fails after downloading a minute or so of the program.  It is only SKY programs that are the problem, if I use the SKY Q box to download ITV or BBC programs then it works fine.  I have contacted SKY and SMARTY and they have no idea what it might be.

My neighbour has exactly the same setup and she started hitting the same problem at the same time as me, so it looks as though either SKY or SMARTY changed something around June, but I have no idea what it might be.

There has been a suggestion that it might be the MTU size and that I should reduce it, but there is no way of changing the MTU size on the ARCHER MR600.  I did see a post where a BETA Firmware was produced for hardware version V1 to allow the MTU size to be changed but I obviously don't want to install that on my V2.

Is there any way of changing this on a V2 please?

Thanks Allen

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:MR600 V2 failing to download SKY programs, may need to change MTU size-Solution
2022-08-30 07:25:07 - last edited 2022-09-05 09:29:43

@AllenK 

Hi, the MR600 V2 doesn't support to change MTU manually in 3G/4G router mode.

May I know if your neighbour is also using MR600 V2 or other 4G router when having the same issue at similar time?

In order to test if it is related to the router or ISP, please try to insert the same SIM card into a different 4G router if possible, or a smartphone and enable phone hotspot, then test if the same issue happens when connected to a different 4G router or phone hotspot with same SIM card.

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:MR600 V2 failing to download SKY programs, may need to change MTU size-Solution
2022-08-30 07:25:07 - last edited 2022-09-05 09:29:43

@AllenK 

Hi, the MR600 V2 doesn't support to change MTU manually in 3G/4G router mode.

May I know if your neighbour is also using MR600 V2 or other 4G router when having the same issue at similar time?

In order to test if it is related to the router or ISP, please try to insert the same SIM card into a different 4G router if possible, or a smartphone and enable phone hotspot, then test if the same issue happens when connected to a different 4G router or phone hotspot with same SIM card.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:MR600 V2 failing to download SKY programs, may need to change MTU size
2022-09-05 09:41:12 - last edited 2022-09-05 10:26:46

@Sunshine 

Hi

My neighbour has exactly the same system to me. I set it up for her - in fact both routers are next to each other in my house because I have a better signal - I have a CAT 5 cable going over to her house from her router into a one mesh system spread across her house.. She started noticing the download problem at the same time as me as well.

Ive tried hotspotting but my 4G signal is abysmal without the aerial.  I'll try again and get back to you.

I've just tried it on my Huawei Honor View 10 smartphone with a similar SMARTY SIM.  It fails in the same way so it isn't the TPLINK router itself

It's also very intermittent, sometimes I download a minute of the program before it dies, other times I can download 18 or more minutes.  This is why I wondered if reducing the MTU size might help.

Thanks Allen

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 369

Replies: 2

Related Articles