Deco S4's not choosing correct source unit and devices not choosing best signal in mesh mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco S4's not choosing correct source unit and devices not choosing best signal in mesh mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-29 20:28:46 - last edited 2023-11-01 06:12:26
Model: Deco S4  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

I've read a bunch on the topic of deco's connecting to the main unit instead of the next nearest unit. I've also read that this is fixed in 1.6.x firmware. Mine are on 1.5.1 and say up to date. Is this 1.6 firmware going to be released for S4 models or not?

Also my gaming pc is connecting to the main instead of the nearest deco as well and I don't know how to make it switch. If I turn off the main unit I'm assuming it'll switch, but then it switches back as soon as main unit is back on. I can't turn off the mesh setting with it connected to a closer unit because the iphone app won't let me see connected devices when the main is down.

Here is a diagram of my house. My main unit is in the basement, used as a router plugged into my modem. I have a two story house with a basement so I set it up for 3 story plan. My second unit is on the main level living room, not directly above the main. My third unit in on the upstairs, is also not directly above the main, it's actually more vertically aligned with the second one and of course closer being on a closer floor.

How do I fix this?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco S4's not choosing correct source unit and devices not choosing best signal in mesh mode-Solution
2023-11-01 06:12:23 - last edited 2023-11-01 06:12:26

@mightythor2000 

Hi, The official firmware doesn't support setting connection preference yet but you can install the beta firmware here:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/624082?replyId=1272768

Thank you very much and best regards.

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Deco S4's not choosing correct source unit and devices not choosing best signal in mesh mode
2022-08-29 21:21:55 - last edited 2022-08-29 21:22:48

@mightythor2000 

1. In Deco app, check Signal Source for Deco 3. If it shows two or three blue bars, Deco 3 should be connected to Main. Connecting Deco 3 to Deco 2 will actually reduce speeds. Signal Source example, with good link to Main Deco named "Living Room":

2. If you bring Deco 3 to the room with Gaming PC, Deco 3 will have shorter distance to Main Deco and, in theory, better link to it. Also, when in the same room, wire that Gaming PC to Deco 3 with Ethernet cable and you eliminate one extra WiFi hop, which should improve gaming experience.

I wonder if you considered that and if you did,  why haven't you done it?

3. I have suggestions how to force Gaming PC to connect to Deco 3, but before I write them into long post I am really interested to hear your response to previous two items.

Options
Re:Deco S4's not choosing correct source unit and devices not choosing best signal in mesh mode-Solution
2023-11-01 06:12:23 - last edited 2023-11-01 06:12:26

@mightythor2000 

Hi, The official firmware doesn't support setting connection preference yet but you can install the beta firmware here:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/624082?replyId=1272768

Thank you very much and best regards.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 377

Replies: 2

Related Articles