Recently Installed Deco M5 Not Getting Expected Speed

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-09-01 05:46:45
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.6.0 Build 20220525 Rel. 48298

Hi,

I just installed the M5 (three pack).  Connected to Xfinity gateway with Bridge enabled.  1g speed Plan.  Basically, over several devices I get the same range of speed: 50-90 mbps.  I have tested with iPhone 12, iPhone 13, Acer Chromebook, HP Laptop, and Dell Laptop, using both satellites and router.  I do not have an ethernet backhaul setup.  Regardless, no matter what the device is connected at (2.4 or 5 ghz) or what M5 puck, the speed range has been consistently 50-90 mbps.  Also did a speed test from the Deco app with result of 862 mbps.  

I have tried many of the suggestions I found on previous threads as well as the troubleshooting tips on TP-Link's site.  

This is a little different from other threads I have looked at where I am getting these speeds after the initial install vs. many which had what I thought were acceptable speeds that slowed down.  

What I expected to see was not anything close to my Xfinity plan's 1 gig, but at least 150-250 mbps.  

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Recently Installed Deco M5 Not Getting Expected Speed
2022-09-01 09:22:17

@GucciNock 

Hi, please check the QOS settings under More>Homecare>QOS and make sure it is disabled or set up 1000m/s download/upload.

Then if it is still the same, please help me run a simple test:

1. please unplug satellite M5 units and leave main M5 only.

2. turn off the 2.4ghz on the main network, only 5ghz only.

3. test the speed on iPhones and laptops again.----on the laptop, it is also suggested to check the wireless link speed at this moment:

How to check the associated/link speed on a wireless client

Thank you and wait for your reply.

Options
2022-09-01 13:00:11

@David-TP 

(1) Confirmed Quality of Service settings bandwidth at 1000 download/upload

(2) Main M5 router was only one plugged in.

(3) Set network to 5 ghz only

Dell XPS (wireless speed at 867)     400 mbps at distance <5 ft, 180 mbps at distance <20 ft

Dell Inspiron (wireless speed at 433)     230 mbps at distance <5 ft, 150 mbps at distance <20ft

iPhone 12     280 mbps at distance <5 ft, 150 at distance <20 ft

iPad              400 mbps at distance <5 ft, 180 at distance <20 ft

These are speeds I would be fine with if I could get across all three pucks.   I would think with just one puck on (the main one), I should be getting slightly higher speeds.  But again, my goal is to have all three pucks delivering above 100 mbps-200 mbps.  

Thanks,

Steve.

Options
2022-09-02 10:09:56

@GucciNock 

Thanks for the update.

The speed next to Deco seems acceptable but it dropped greatly a few feet away. It looks like the signal been blocked by the interference quite a lot which might explain why satellite M5 could only get about 90m/s.

Is the link speed still 867m/s, 433m/s when 20ft away?

Before using Deco, how about the speed on the Xfinity gateway(the speed next to Xfinity and 20ft away)?

And I see Dell XPS and Dell Inspiration as well as iPhone 12 are Wi-Fi 6,  have you ever considered the Wi-Fi 6 Mesh?

Or is there any chance that you could wire the M5 together, like a daisy chain main M5---1st satellite M5--2nd satellite M5?

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options