Deco M4 connected to multiple decos using Ethernet over power

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-09-04 20:50:22

Hi,

Planning on getting a deco but I want to make sure that I can set it up in a certain way.

I want to use power line adapters and was wondering if you can connect multiple Decos to the main deco using the power line adapters using the Ethernet back port feature without having to use a switch.

Example:

Router--main deco--power line adapter--multiple decos which are connected using their own powerlibe adapter

Hope this makes sense, also I'm assuming that the mesh system would work using the Ethernet backport?

I'm very new to this so any info about the Decos would be very helpful and appreciated.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco M4 connected to multiple decos using Ethernet over power
2022-09-04 23:46:02

@JulieT66 

Do you plan to buy powerline adapters, or do you have them already? If you have them already, what is their brand name and model number?

Options
2022-09-05 00:32:49

@Alexandre. 

Hi,

thanks for the reply, I've already got a set but would need another set to do the whole house. Brand and model name: Tp-Link TL-PA4010PKIT.

Options
2022-09-05 00:46:22

@JulieT66 

Deco M4 should work with powerline adapters the way you expect. The only risk is some powerline adapters are not compatible with Deco Ethernet backhaul protocols. The brand and model you listed should be, but no guarantee until you try.

TP-Link TL-PA4010PKIT is listed as end of life on TP-Link web site, you might not be able to get another pair of powerline adapters of this model.

In case you had to buy different brand and model of powerline adapters, go with those that have single Ethernet port. For some reason, powerline adapters with multiple Ethernet ports per unit have higher chances of not being compatible with Deco Ethernet backhaul.

Your other option is Deco P9, which is equivalent to M4, but with integrated powerline adapters: https://www.tp-link.com/us/deco-mesh-wifi/product-family/deco-p9/

Mind you, you can't use TL-PA4010PKIT together with P9s, but you would not need to.

Whatever you decide to buy, make sure it comes with return policy. WiFi mesh, and powerlines, and especially mixing them is hit and miss. You wouldn't want to be stuck with networking equipment that can't work the way you expected it to.

Options