Can't Access My Book Live (NAS) Through Deco Mesh Network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-09-05 13:18:17 - last edited 2022-09-06 02:36:27
Tags: #NAS
Model: Deco XE75 Pro  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Just set up my Deco Mesh xe75 Pro. Everything worked like clockwork, surprised to see all my smart devices come online. But I have a WD My Book Live wired to the network. I can see it in my list of devices in the Deco app and see it's IP but I can no longer access it. I saw one other post with the exact same issue but there wasn't a confirmed solution. Tried power cycling the drive, no luck. Looking for help as we have critical documents and years of photos on the drive.

Options
6 Reply
Re:Can't Access My Book Live (NAS) Through Deco Mesh Network
2022-09-05 15:18:58

@sakendrick 

1. Where is WD My Book Live wired to? If not to the Deco but to the switch, where this switch is wired to (Main Deco, Satellite Deco, something else)?

2. What is IP address that is shown in Deco app for WD My Book Live? If it is not in the 192.168.68.* range, it is possible your WD My Book Live was configured with static IP address and that needs to change.

Options
2022-09-05 16:25:47

I've tried two connections, neither work. One directly to the main deco and one to a switch which is connected to the main deco.

I think I know the problem but I don't know how to solve it. I set my LAN IP address to 192.168.2.1. But for some reason all my wireless devices still use 192.168.0.x. So the wireless devices can't see any wired devices. If I connect through eithernet with my laptop to the deco then I can see the NAS just fine. With my old router when I changed IP range, all wired and wireless devices used the same IP range.

So...

- Is there a way to tell the deco to asign 192.168.2.x to my wireless devices?

- is there way for the two to talk to each other (wireless and wired devices)?

- is there a way to get my wired devices in the same range --- having some issues with the NAS because it previously had a fixed IP. All my Sonos also seem to be holding on to the 2.x range, but I'm sure I could reconfigure those if I had to

I feel I should be able to use the 192.168.2.x range and have this working, but can try other things.

Options
2022-09-05 17:03:01 - last edited 2022-09-05 17:03:22

@sakendrick 

Under normal conditions, Deco mesh behaves like a large WiFi router: it allocates IP addresses from the same IP range to all devices. All wired and wireless devices are on that range and can see each other with no issues.

When you have changed default networking settings in Deco, you may have introduced or triggered an issue. Such issues are hard to troubleshoot remotely.

Because of that, I am going to give you a simple fix, which should bring everything on your home network together. I am assuming your Main Deco is connected to your old router. If not, please bring router back and connect Main Deco to it.

You will need to change Deco Operating Mode to Access Point: How to set up Deco to work in Access Point mode 

After this configuration change is completed, everything on your home network should run in the same IP segment, managed by your old router, and all devices will see each other.

-------------

If you haven't done it yet, I also recommend changing NAS IP address from static to dynamic.

Options
2022-09-05 17:18:15

I've seen the suggestion for AP mode - but the whole reason I got the Deco was to replace my old router which was failing. I don't want to introduce the old equipment back into the network (I also don't have any more outlets, cables etc to have another device).

I found that in DHCP settings you can change the address range.. Giving that a shot but my devices haven't been reassigned yet.

I'm not sure how setting a NAS to dynamic IP works when it needs to be a mapped network drive (changing IP would cause it to discounnect constantly I would think). I can put the Deco back to defaults which was 192.168.68.* for the LAN but I don't think that solves my issue as I still have a delta between my wired devices on 68.* vs. my wireless which all seem to be asigned 0.* (for some reason).

I appreciate the suggestion, but this isn't an AP.

Options
2022-09-05 17:26:09
It is looking like setting the IP range for the DHCP server may have solved it. It's weird because not all devices have the 2.x range, but my laptop does and I can now access the drive. I'm assuming other devices will eventually refresh to that range.
Options
2022-09-05 19:33:50

@sakendrick 

To set static IP address for device in Deco mesh, follow this document: How to configure Address Reservation with Deco

This approach applies to any other router as well, if you want to have properly behaving home network. Instead of hardcoding IP address on device, you configure it in router.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1019

Replies: 6

Tags

NAS
Related Articles