Nat Type issue

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Nat Type issue

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Nat Type issue
Nat Type issue
2022-09-07 23:14:53 - last edited 2022-09-08 00:53:11
Model: Archer A7  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version:

Just moved into a new apartment recently and I am getting Nat Type 3 when trying to play PlayStation. I have the AC 1750 archer 7 model.  I have already attempted to port forward, turned on dmz and upnp. Outside of this PS4 issue the wifi works great. I am getting extremely bummed out over this issue. Some insight or tips would be appreciated. 

Options
7 Reply
Re:Nat Type issue
2022-09-08 14:04:02

@Patfisher15 

Given your problem description it appears that the Internet connection of your new apartment has another NAT further upstream, either inside the device to which the Archer A7's WAN port is connected to (i.e. modem, ONT, etc.) or at the side of your Internet Service Provider. 

What is your Internet connection type? Dynamic IP, PPPoE, etc.?

Options
2022-09-08 14:59:46

@woozle dynamic 

Options
2022-09-08 16:16:29

@Patfisher15 

Ok. That makes it rather likely that there is another NAT before the connection that goes into your Archer A7.

Where does the other end of the Ethernet cable that plugs into the WAN port of the Archer A7 go to? Just a socket in the wall?

Could you please tell us the first two numbers of your router's Internet IP address, the one's circled in red in below screenshot?

Options
2022-09-08 16:28:46

@woozle 19 and it plugs into the wall

Options
2022-09-08 16:39:14

@Patfisher15 

Well, if the Archer A7's Internet IP address is 192.168.something, then it is a so-called private IPv4 address.

And this means there is another NAT between your Archer A7 and the actual Internet, hence the Playstation reporting Nat Type 3.

Since you don't seem to have access to the networking hardware upstream of your Archer A7 you can only talk to whoever provides the Internet connection to you and ask them if they can help you solve this issue.

Options
2022-09-08 17:27:09

@woozle think it could be a modem issue? 

Options
2022-09-08 21:18:05

@Patfisher15 

The issue is that between your wall socket and the actual Internet there is at least one more networking device introducing another NAT (Network Address Translation).

I guess we can only speculate whether it is a modem or a business-grade router or whatever. (unless you know for sure it's a modem)

Whoever provides that Internet connection via the wall socket to you should know. Assuming they are professionals, telling them the words Playstation 4 and NAT type 3 should be enough for them to understand your problem.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 700

Replies: 7

Related Articles