Ethernet issues in wireless router mode (older model)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-09-09 21:14:52 - last edited 2022-09-13 01:09:33
Model: TD-W8980  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Hi, i've been using the tp link to increase wifi coverage around the home via a ethernet cable. I've turned off dhcp on the tp link and changed the ip address to 192.168.8.254. That connects via ethernet to my main router 192.168.8.1 with an active dhcp server. WIFI works on the tp link but when i connect anything to one of the ethernet it fails to get an ip address. I tried manually assigning an ip address on my main router and the device but it still refuses to connect whatever device i have connected via ethernet. I'm unsure if thats meant to happen? Sorry, i'm not very network savvy. Ethernet is not plugged into WAN on both devices.

Please help

Options
1 Reply
Re:Ethernet issues in wireless router mode (older model)
2022-09-09 21:19:31 - last edited 2022-09-13 01:09:33

Just to add, when i tried this in the past before giving up i believe when the DHCP server was active on the tp link the ethernet worked, but that caused double nat and made online gaming tricky for people in the house. I'm hoping to avoid that. I'd like to turn this into a ethernet switch with wifi that uses my main router DHCP if possible. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 156

Replies: 1