Help configuring three Deco X50 in series

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-09-13 17:20:54
Model: Deco X50  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Hi guys!
I'm struggling with my Deco X50 right now and can't get it to work as it want it to. 

Here's the problem: I want to bring decent wifi to three floors: the main Deco is on the first floor (connected to a 5G modem). Deco #2 is on the second floor, and Deco #3 is on the third floor. I only get halfway decent WLAN when Deco 3 connects to Deco 2 (and NOT to the main Deco!). Once it worked and the decos automatically connected in series as desired and the data throughput was also completely OK (circa 100Mbit arrived upstairs). After a short power interruption, the decos connected again - but in a star configuration, means: Deco 2 and Deco 3 each connected to Deco 1! Connected in this way, only poor 10Mbit arrive on the third floor! :-( For me actually a matter of course I searched the settings to explicitly connect the devices in series - in vain! Even a short chat with support brought no solution: you can not configure this allegedly, the Decos would always look for the best connection themselves. 

Is it REALLY the case that I have no way to influence the way the Decos connect? That would be an absolute NoGo in my setup! 

Help is desperately needed...

Cheers, Jens.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Help configuring three Deco X50 in series
2022-09-14 13:57:13

@Jensemann 

TP-Link gradually releases firmware that allows to configure where Satellite Deco connects. It is possible they already have beta firmware for X50. You can PM @David-TP , this is TP-Link Deco Support account, which shares beta firmware with users.

You will only need to install beta firmware on Satellite Deco #3.

That beta firmware exists for similar Deco model, X55: https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/581552. If they sell X55s in your region and you can't get beta firmware for X50, consider returning X50s and replacing them by X55s.

If you can connect Deco #3 with Deco #2 by Ethernet cable, at least temporarily till new firmware is released, that would solve the issue, too. 

If you happened to have pair of powerline adapters compatible with Deco mesh, that could be a substitute for an Ethernet cable between two Satellite Deco.

Options
Re:Help configuring three Deco X50 in series
2022-10-11 11:42:27

@Jensemann 

If you still have Deco X50s, check this: https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/584954

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 459

Replies: 2