Upgrading 3x E4 home network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-09-19 06:47:18
Model: Deco E4  
Hardware Version: V7
Firmware Version: 1.5.4

Hi guys,

right now i have setup of 3x E4.

I started with 2xE4 but earlier this year we finished building garden office, so I just bought just another E4. Everything works smooth, but sometimes i get a lot of timeouts - mainly when i close the doors on garden office. When i checked, i was surprised that even garden office still tries to connect to main Deco which is further than one in the living room (i expected that it will try to connect to closest one, but it still prefer to connect to main one).

Right now i would like to solve these timeouts with upgrading the network, but im lost what exactly to buy. I'm thinking of buying stronger main unit - so for example replace main E4 with M5 or X50. But im not sure what is the best choice. Do you have any advices what is the best way to boost signal in garden office?

connectivity from garden office deco is going via ethernet directly to computer - so those timeouts are really just from deco disconnecting from deco network. I can see this in app as well , sometimes that Deco keeps on disconnecting.

Thank you for help.

Options
6 Reply
Re:Upgrading 3x E4 home network
2022-09-19 13:23:52 - last edited 2022-09-19 13:24:35

@MikeUtan 

I would recommend M5, but not for the Main Deco.

TP-Link released firmware 1.6 for Deco M5 that allows to manually configure where Satellite Deco should connect. Get Deco M5, place it in garden office, configure it to connect to Deco in the living room. More about that firmware here, see second feature on the list: https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/274402

You can also have that with Deco M4, but only for hardware version V4: https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/581554

Deco M4 should have better performance than M5, but there are two caveats: its new firmware is still beta, and you must be sure you are getting V4 hardware. Deco M5 is safer bet at that point.

Options
2022-09-19 13:33:03

@Alexandre. Thank you very much for great advice, that makes sense. I will probably try this setup. If it wont be enough, how much do you think would help, if i replaced main unit with much more powerful device like x90//m9 plus etc?

But i think costwise, is much better try first your setup with new m5 and then evaluate if it will help or not.

Thanks

Options
2022-09-19 13:43:55

@MikeUtan 

Well, and if that does not work you can try your original plan of making M5 Main Deco, but I doubt that would work either. You can try. Also, for the reference: Changing the Main Unit for your Mesh Network

Also, see how close you can move Decos in the Living room and Garden to each other. You can wall mount M5 using third party wall mount holder. Check Amazon for "Koroao Wall Mount Holder Compatible with TP-Link Deco M5, TP-Link Deco P7 Whole Home Mesh WiFi System, Sturdy Wall Mount Bracket. (Single)" for example of such holder. Mounting M5 on the wall closest to Living room and moving Deco in the Living room as close to Garden as possible could do the trick.

Next step would be to get a pair of Deco M9 Plus for Living Room and Garden, they also have beta firmware with that feature. Deco M9 Plus is top of the line WiFi5 hardware from TP-Link, and also it is tri-band, which means better speeds. Especially when you daisy chain Decos to connect through each other. But if you are taking that path, it'll make sense to buy 3-unit Deco M9 Plus set and replace with it all your three E4.

Options
2022-09-19 13:52:00
Thanks Alex, i just ordered m5, will test it and i will let you know results. If it wont help, i will go probably with 3x M9 plus. cheers
Options
2022-09-19 13:59:41

@MikeUtan 

Hopefully M5 with manual configuration should be enough.

In case it comes to buying Deco M9 Plus, its beta firmware discussed here: https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/574954

You will only need to install beta firmware on Satellite Deco which will be in the Garden. Other two M9 Plus can run as is. 

There is also possibility TP-Link will release official firmware for M9 Plus soon, they kept sharing beta firmware for it for a while now.

Options
2022-09-21 08:01:17

@Alexandre.

So installed M5 in garden office, upgraded fw and changed source manually to living room Deco. To my surprise, signal was not stronger, and i had maybe even more timeouts. So looks like auto select worked good, and indeed it selects more clean signal. I dont really understand why , but obviously it works better when it is connected to the main deco.

So i tried replaced main unit with M5 , i didnt really notice some big improvement, i definitely still get some timeouts.

So i think next step is to get 3x M9 plus and see how much it will help.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 425

Replies: 6

Related Articles