TP-Link WA850RE not getting an IP

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-09-26 20:16:23
Model: TL-WA850RE  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2

Hello.

I have an old TP-Link WA850RE and I simply can't use it.

My router is a Netgear Nighthawk R7800 and is using OpenWrt. My laptop uses Debian BullsEye.

When I plug the repeater to the mains, the Power light is immediately steady blue. Using my laptop, I can connect to the repeater WiFi network but I simply can't reach http://tplinkrepeater.net. It simply says: We can’t connect to the server at tplinkrepeater.net.

If I try from my phone, I can also connect to the repeater WiFi, but I get that message saying: Internet connectivity may not be available - and I can't either access to the http://tplinkrepeater.net.

On the phone, if I try the Tether app, the app simply can't find the repeater either.

What else have I tried?

I tried on my phone, to set a static IP on the repeater WiFi network and tried to both access the http://tplinkrepeater.net and the IP I set to it, still with no success for both cases!

I also tried via RJ45 cable on both my laptop and my router. None of them could assign an IP to the device. So, I'm out of options to try to get access to the web interface of this device.

What else can I try?

Thanks

Psy

Options
3 Reply
Re:TP-Link WA850RE not getting an IP
2022-09-27 11:52:05 - last edited 2022-09-27 11:53:11

Hello @PsySc0rpi0n 

When network devices have connected to the SSID of the range extender, please check what is the IP address and  IPv4 gateway address(= RE's IP address) on the network device. Then use IPv4 default gateway there to login the web page of the range extender.  

If still the same, may I know the hardware version of the RE? 

Please share a photo of the IP & gateway address when device connected to the Wifi SSID of the range extender. 

Options
2022-09-27 21:17:27 - last edited 2022-09-27 21:22:28

@Solla-topee 

Thank you for the reply.

The links you sent me to check the IP an etc, shamelessly doesn't have an option to Linux/Debian. TP-Link completely isregarding Linux! :(

Anyway, if I try to connect from my phone (Android) to the repeater WiFi, using default settings (DHCP), sometines I get a message saying "Failed to obtain IP address).

The latest attempt I did I got an IP: 10.42.0.159, but "Internet connectivity may not be available"

"Manage router: 10.42.0.1"

If I try to access to 10.42.0.1 from my phone, I get to a page saying: Welcome to nginx.

If I try to access the IP 10.42.0.159, I simply get a "Web page not available - net::ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED"

If I try from my laptop, Debian BullsEye, in the repeater WiFi settings, IPv4 tab, filed Method, I just get a "Shared with other computers" option, but no IP. I can't find any IP anywhere in this window.

This is driving me crazy! This should be a very simple thing.

About the firmware, it's 3.14.8 Build 140527 Rel. 69108n

Model: TL-WA850RE(EU) Ver.: 1.2

Options
2022-10-01 19:09:41

I end up being able to make it work, however, Tether app is not consistent. Sometimes it sees the device some other times it doesn't see it.

The link http://tplinkrepeater.net is not working all the times either.

The way I made it work was to set static IP 192.168.0.100, iirc, to the WiFi of the repeater and try to access the gateway 192.168.0.254.

Another thing that is not adding up is the firmware version. I can't even find my repeater firmware version in the site and it's not clear if v1.2 is the same as v1.20. So I can't even unerstand if there is any newer version of firmware to update my device or not!

Terrible support, instructions, manuals, etc!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 290

Replies: 3

Related Articles