M5 Main deco turned blinking blue, lost remote access.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-09-29 21:11:55
Tags: #troubleshoot
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Need to restore remote access to a M5 mesh. Satellites Decos seem to work locally, Main Deco is blinking blue. It seems it's in setup mode. Lost connection. I'm physically 7000 miles away.

I have (non technical) people on site that can help and report

My configured WPA protected networks SSIDs are still broadcasting. Connected clients to those networks can connect Deco. However, no routing to the internet. Clients report no internet connection. I assume those are the WiFi networks of the satellites that still have the config and just miss the link to the main. Could be wrong.

An open WiFi with an SSID starting with TPLink.... is broadcasting and connected to the internet. Proof that modem and Ethernet is working!

Is there any workaround to get my remote access back? E.g. Does a satellite M5 store the full config? In other words: Can the main deco just physically be replaced by a satellite deco by connecting it to the modem and it automatically becomes the main?

The web interface seems to only have monitoring features. Can the Main Deco M5 be set up with a web browser without the app? Will the satellites join the main if old SSIDs restored?

Thanks for any insight!!!!

Dirk

Options
4 Reply
Re:M5 Main deco turned blinking blue, lost remote access.
2022-09-29 21:39:41

@Dirkster1 

If you have access to Deco app that is managing your Deco mesh, follow this document to promote one of Satellite Deco to Main Deco: Changing the Main Unit for your Mesh Network

Options
2022-09-29 21:59:44

@Dirkster1 Update: I just did a call with a support agent from TP Link. Amazingly professional call center for a consumer product!

Suggested solution for everyone with similar remote access issues:

1. Have a person locally intalling app and just configure dummy credentials (avoid sharing credentials)

2. Connect remotely to main with new dummy credentials and reconfigure passwords, WLANs, etc.

3. Satellites might or might not join main automatically. If not, they can be resetted locally with reset button and added remotely.

Can someone confirm? Will get onto that soon and report back here.

Options
2022-09-29 22:05:01

@Alexandre. Thanks! Some helpful advise!!! Much simpler than configuring all over.

However, there is a security issue which involves sharing the credentials.

I guess that leads to the question: Can the credentials be changed remotely after access is regained?

Thanks for your quick support!

Dirk

Options
2022-09-30 01:25:31

@Dirkster1 

Hi,  the password could be changed remotely after access is restored.

And for the other information, I had the feeling that when the main M5 was accidentally reset, while the satellite M5 was not, you might not be able to see the previously configured network and change the satellite M5 to be the new main Deco when connecting to the WiFi of satellite M5. But I haven't tested it yet and will update it here later.

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1920

Replies: 4

Tags

troubleshoot
Related Articles