Attaching a backup internet, Will it Combine the Speed?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-10-10 08:15:06 - last edited 2022-10-11 01:42:13
Model: Archer VR600  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

What if i connected a backup internet connection to the WAN port so that i have a one connection through the vdsl (landline) [30 Mbps] port and another connection through the WAN [30 Mbps] port. 

Will the VR600 act as a load balancer and combine the speeds of both connections? So that if i made a speed test on like fast.com or speedtest.net I will get a speed of 60 Mbps? 

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Attaching a backup internet, Will it Combine the Speed? -Solution
2022-10-10 18:20:32 - last edited 2022-10-11 01:42:13

@Errefae 

No, with VR600 you can't do load balancing. It's either DSL port (DSL modem router mode) or WAN/LAN4 port (wireless router mode) you can use at a time.

There's a special devices - load balancers or VPN routers, which will allow you to do that in addition to your existing VR600.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Recommended Solution
Options
2022-10-18 22:13:39 - last edited 2022-10-19 15:57:27

@Errefae 

I believe that in your case, either would do the job.

Check this comparison.

R480 is rack mountable (bigger) and has an internal power supply. It also supports up to 30000 concurent sessions.

pfSense firewall/router software can be installed on any small computer with three or more network cards and serve as a load balancer and redundancy when using two ISPs.

In your case it replaces the load balancer device - topology stays the same. The hardware you could use for installing pfSense, can be seen in this video. pfSense can't be installed on a TP-Link device.

TD-W9960 supports Bridge mode. Here's an exmaple how to configure in bridge mode.

Except the redundancy you'll have the load balancing as well.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Recommended Solution
Options
21 Reply
2022-10-10 18:20:32 - last edited 2022-10-11 01:42:13

@Errefae 

No, with VR600 you can't do load balancing. It's either DSL port (DSL modem router mode) or WAN/LAN4 port (wireless router mode) you can use at a time.

There's a special devices - load balancers or VPN routers, which will allow you to do that in addition to your existing VR600.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Attaching a backup internet, Will it Combine the Speed?
2022-10-10 21:09:18

@terziyski 

And What is the difference between a load balancer and a VPN router?

Also, what is the right and optimal setup using a load balancer if i have two landlines with vdsl2 subscription?

Maybe also you can consider that i have 2 VR600 modem routers, and that i still need to have wifi coverage out after the load balancer. 

Many thanks

Options
2022-10-10 23:45:01 - last edited 2022-10-10 23:49:00

@Errefae .

VPN routers are part of the Omada SDN. Most of them offer a gigabit WAN/LAN ports and support load-balancing features as well.

Load balancers are targetted specifically for load balancing work - they are usually with 100mbit/s WAN/LAN ports.

The best topology in such case is:

DSL modem (bridge mode)                         DSL modem (bridge mode)

|                                                                          |

|------------------------  Load-balancer  ---------------|

|

|

Wireless Access Points

Thus, you'll avoid the double NAT in your network and the load-balancer would be the main router/firewall and management point for your network.

But you won't be able to use your two VR600 DSL modem routers wireless radio - that's why you'll need an additional wireless APs.

You can find more information regarding business routers and Omada SDN in the community business section.

Options
2022-10-11 00:47:43

@terziyski 

I prefer to use the VR600s wireless features, can i use them as Wireless APs? The load balancer connects to both of them or the load balancer connects to one of them and the second VR600 connects to the First VR600 on LAN. What do you think? 

In this case does tp-link has Vdsl2 modems?

Options
2022-10-11 01:12:35

@Errefae 

If you want to use VR600 as APs use this guide. You can daisy-chain them or connect each one directly to the load-balancer.

Here's the list of VDSL2 modem routers.

Options
2022-10-18 21:21:36 - last edited 2022-10-18 22:03:34

@terziyski 

1- Does the load balancer has dhcp server? 

If this is the topology, will it work? 

M: Modem

Load: Load Balancer

S: Switch 

PC: computer

A: Access points (VR 600 v3) 

Many thanks

Options
2022-10-18 21:58:44 - last edited 2022-10-18 22:00:48

@Errefae 

Yes, it has - check the specs here. And yes, this topology should work.

Just FYI a pfSense box with dual WAN ports should do the job as well.

Options
2022-10-18 22:01:53

@terziyski 

Which Load Balancer do you recommend? 

1- TL-R480T+

2- TL-R470T+

Options
2022-10-18 22:07:15 - last edited 2022-10-18 22:07:51

@terziyski 

What is a pfSense box with dual wan? 

What is the topology with a pfSense box? 

Options
2022-10-18 22:13:39 - last edited 2022-10-19 15:57:27

@Errefae 

I believe that in your case, either would do the job.

Check this comparison.

R480 is rack mountable (bigger) and has an internal power supply. It also supports up to 30000 concurent sessions.

pfSense firewall/router software can be installed on any small computer with three or more network cards and serve as a load balancer and redundancy when using two ISPs.

In your case it replaces the load balancer device - topology stays the same. The hardware you could use for installing pfSense, can be seen in this video. pfSense can't be installed on a TP-Link device.

TD-W9960 supports Bridge mode. Here's an exmaple how to configure in bridge mode.

Except the redundancy you'll have the load balancing as well.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1910

Replies: 21

Related Articles