Redirect certain outgoing traffic to internal device

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-10-13 15:05:26
Model: Archer AX1800  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.5 Build 20211231 rel.53949(4555)

Greetings,

Several of my devices at home have hard-coded dns entries that bypass the DNS settings in the AX1800 router. I've been trying to find a way to force the router to redirect all traffic on certain ports to another device in my network before being allowed on the internet.

So:

Device A does a hard-coded DNS query to the internet on port 53.

Router detects this traffic and reroutes it to Device B.

Device B can do any DNS traffic onto the internet.

So far, this has not worked because of the annoyingly limited firewall options on this model. Does anyone have any tips on things I might have overlooked or did I buy the wrong type of router?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Redirect certain outgoing traffic to internal device
2022-12-11 03:20:07

7 Effective Retail Marketing Strategies to Scale Your ROI
4 Proven Marketing Strategies for Accounting Firms

Options
2022-12-11 05:20:41 - last edited 2022-12-13 09:57:39

@Mivado 

This shouldn't be possible with a TP-Link home router (they have limited features implemented), but just as a shot in the dark you can test this:

The idea here is to isolate the hard-coded DNS IP address in your device (i.e. 5.5.5.5) and redirect (with a static route) all traffic for this IP address (including queries on port 53) to an internal device (i.e. 192.168.1.100 - like PiHole for example).

I didn't test this scenario and I'm not sure if that will work as expected, but that's the only option you could try with AX20 resources.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2022-12-27 23:22:23

4 Types of Social Media Content That Drive Engagement solarpowersystems

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 458

Replies: 3