Deco X55 with BT Smart Hub 2 (Help with settings, speeds and TV Fault)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-10-18 10:51:51
Model: Deco X55  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi all,

Wondered if any tech wizards could help me with the below.

I have BT Broadband and pay for speeds up to 1Gb on my Fibre to the property line.

I've had issues for ages on WiFi, had Openreach out and he stated the Smart Hub 2 cannot deal with those speeds and to buy a Deco or NETGEAR device instead that has WiFi 6 and better banding. Which i did. 

I unplugged the BT Discs and placed one Deco device straight into the Fibre Box in the wall and the other 2 around the house.

I was getting great speeds up to 550mbps and it was more consistent. 

Plugged in my laptop into the ethernet slot I was getting 980mbps. Win Win right?

Now today my speeds have dropped and my BT TV Pro box is not working (This is with the wifi only update) but was working fine for the last week.

My question is, what settings do i need to make sure are on the setup via the app and how can I get uninterupted speeds or do I need to go back to use the Smart Hub 2 as the router.

Thanks in advance.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Deco X55 with BT Smart Hub 2 (Help with settings, speeds and TV Fault)
2022-10-18 21:48:20 - last edited 2022-10-18 21:49:18

@MVAV 

Hey

Fellow BT user here, you dont need to go back to the hub.. and yes its awful! lol

In the Deco on WAN setup did you configure an username and password, or just choose AUTO?  

The setup I use for people is this.

1.  Deco straight into the ONT (white box BT installed inside your house)

2.  Deco WAN set for PPPoE      Username is   bthomehub@btbroadband.com     password   BT  (it doesnt really matter tbh)

3. Set the primary DNS as 9.9.9.9  and secondary as 149.112.112.112    -  this is optional, but quad 9 DNS is faster I found

Should be all good to go!

P.S.   you can run network optimiser from the App, that will check and change channel on the Deco to get you max speed.  Some WiFi channels can be congested and a change often helps!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 819

Replies: 1

Related Articles