Deco M5 and BT Smart Hub 2 on 500Mb Fibre

a week ago - last edited a week ago
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.7.3

Hi,

I have just moved onto BT's 500Mb Fibre connection and, according to the BT app, have speeds of over 500Mb coming.  Unfortunately, devices are getting 40-60Mb speeds, at best.

I have changed the Deco's to Access Point mode but, honesly, I find the whole thing utterly overwhelming and have no idea what is best/optimal or what most of it means.

I have the main Deco connected directly to the Home Hub.  I've disabled wifi on the hub itself.  I also have two fully wireless Decos around the house.  When it was setup yesterday, the Decos immediately reconnected, despite the change of router.  Do they need to be setup again?  I've tried reboots, network optimisation, etc. and getting nowhere.

Advise is most welcome!  Help!

Cheers!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco M5 and BT Smart Hub 2 on 500Mb Fibre-Solution

@imalrightjack 

Access point mode sounds correct if you still have the BT Home hub in place.

If it was me I would start from scratch.

You can remove the BT Home Hub altogeher and connect your main deco via a good quality ethernet cable directly to your BT ONT on the wall (optical modem that converts your fibre optic signal to a normal internet signal)

Once you have done that I would follow the setup guide on the Deco app, the Deco will detect a PPPoE connection type which BT use, the username is default "bthomehub@btbroadband.com" and password is "BT". This will set your main Deco up in router mode. Add your additional Decos once the light goes green on the main deco.

This link is useful for resetting or deleting your current Deco network to start from scratch. 

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/faq/1457/

Make sure you know what your wireless network name and password are so you can set them up the same, then all your devices will automatically connect once the setup is complete.

Cheers.

Recommended Solution
Options
11 Reply
Re:Deco M5 and BT Smart Hub 2 on 500Mb Fibre-Solution

@imalrightjack 

Access point mode sounds correct if you still have the BT Home hub in place.

If it was me I would start from scratch.

You can remove the BT Home Hub altogeher and connect your main deco via a good quality ethernet cable directly to your BT ONT on the wall (optical modem that converts your fibre optic signal to a normal internet signal)

Once you have done that I would follow the setup guide on the Deco app, the Deco will detect a PPPoE connection type which BT use, the username is default "bthomehub@btbroadband.com" and password is "BT". This will set your main Deco up in router mode. Add your additional Decos once the light goes green on the main deco.

This link is useful for resetting or deleting your current Deco network to start from scratch. 

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/faq/1457/

Make sure you know what your wireless network name and password are so you can set them up the same, then all your devices will automatically connect once the setup is complete.

Cheers.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Deco M5 and BT Smart Hub 2 on 500Mb Fibre
a week ago

@klipse Thank you! 

What will my wireless network name be? I'm not sure if I'm being dim!

Options
a week ago

@imalrightjack 

It will be the network all your wireless devices connect too, On Deco app go to "wi fi settings" and it will be that one, you can also see your password there on the same screen.

Options

@klipse Ah thanks, the name I gave it, as I see it on, say, my phone? Won't I need to reset all the M5s though?

EDIT! Penny has dropped! Thank you - i understand. 

Options
a week ago
No worries.
Options
a week ago

@klipse 

Should I change to Access Point mode once I have the satellite ones added?

Options
a week ago

@imalrightjack 

depends if you removed your BT hub?

If BT hub removed then leave Deco as is in router mode. 

if BT hub left in place then you can change Deco to AP mode 

Options
a week ago

@klipse 

Thank you. Really appreciate the help. 

I've removed the hub. Is that likely the best solution?

Options
a week ago

@imalrightjack 

I would say so, I have BT FTTP 300 with Deco M9 plus and I have the BT hub removed.

Personal preference though...

Options
a week ago

@klipse 

Thanks again. I've managed to get the satellite connection up to more like 100MB. Still not ideal, as the main Deco is flying at 500MB. And most devices run off the satellites!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 302

Replies: 11

Related Articles