What does 'installation on the same electric circruit'exactly mean?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-10-20 16:15:07
Model: TL-WPA8631P KIT  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 2.2.32

I received this product this morning and while installing it I noticed that it says that both devices need to be installed on the same electrical circuit. I know what an electrical circuit is, but what does this mean exactly in this case? My situation:

I have a small hotel-restaurant. We have the main circuit breaker board with different, what we call 'groups' in Dutch (circuits?) for different areas in the whole building. Each group has an automatic circuit breaker switch (10A, 16A or 32A). Then on each floor there is another circuit breaker board with different 'groups' (circuits?) for each room, lights en sockets seperate of course.

Because of thick stone walls I want to put one device on the first floor after the thick wall across from the first device which is next to the router on the ground floor. So definitely two different groups! But with that also two different circuits in TP-link's definition?

Because it DOES seem to work! The wifi has improved on the first floor and the LED indicator for the powerline is blue/green. But does this mean it is installed the way it should be?

Or should I better install electrcl wire from the room on the first floor all the way down to create a socket next to the router on the ground floor to put every device on the same 'group' being the one on the first floor. Which is a lot of work, not 100% according regulations and defies a bit the purpose of a powerline solution because then I might as well install a networkcable and buy an accesspoint...

At the moment we are only using wifi for phone and tablets on the first floor, but in the future I want to connect a Smart-TV to the TP-Link device on the first floor.

Could somebody advice?

Thank you in advance!

Eric

Options
1 Reply
Re:What does 'installation on the same electric circruit'exactly mean?
2022-10-31 13:03:00

@EricP72 

Hi,

It means that there needs to be a continuous electrical path between Powerline devices to enable them to communicate.

As an example of what would work:

One Powerline device on a ring main and another device on a second ring main eg how things might be set up in a two storey house. As long as both ring mains are supplied from the same consumer unit then there is a continuous electrical path between the two devices via the consumer unit/MCBs etc.

As an example of what would not work:

One Powerline device on a ring main and another device on a second ring main where each ring main is supplied from a separate consumer unit. As an example, if there are two separate building eg a house and a shed, these might have separate consumer units. The devices will not communicate in this situation.

Based on your description, I would say you have the devices on the same circuit and so they work!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 446

Replies: 1

Related Articles