Using router as access point with a switch in front

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-10-21 10:56:31
Model: TL-WR940N   TL-SG105  
Hardware Version: V6
Firmware Version:

Hello,

1 week ago i bought a TL-WR940N router and a TL-SG105 5 Port gigabit switch. Because i live in a dorm, i can simply use the ethernet plug in the wall to connect to the internet (1gigabit). But because the TL-WR940N ethernet ports in the back dont support 1 gigabit, i started using the switch, to split into 2 cables (1 goes to my pc and 1 to the WR940N router). This setup didnt work as i wanted, because the wifi stopped working and i could mostly not sign in and if it let me, it said that its not possible to establish a connection. My guess is that it has somethign to do with the allocation of private ip adresses in my network because im using the switch before the router?

Therefore i tried configuring my router as a access point so that

wallplug --> switch --> accesspoint(router)

--> pc

I configured it by using the quick setup in the control panel, but after rebooting the router it didnt work either. I can also connect to the device but i still cannot get a running connection, which means i dont have internet and also cant access the control panel again.

My last step was that i reset my router, but now im basically at the beginning again where my pc is plugged in the router and therefore i can only get like 80MBPS instead of 800-900MBPS.

Can anyone help me? What am i doing wrong or how should i configure my setup so that my pc can use the whole bandwidth and my router still works after connecting it to the switch? What settings should i enable or change?

Thanks for your help!

Greetings

Options
3 Reply
Re:Using router as access point with a switch in front
2022-10-21 21:12:46

@raeb 

It does sound like the IP Address allocation from your dorm, it may be only one IP is available to that device.

Try this...

What IP are you getting when it is working?   is it a 192.168.x.x address or something else?   If you borrow someone elses laptop quickly and plug them in, do they get the same IP address?  When both are connected does the PC and AP both get IP addresses?

Basically you need to work out what address range is possible for you, gut feeling is that you will need your own DHCP for your dorm... but until we know the ranges it hard to guess this.

Options
2022-10-22 16:07:35 - last edited 2022-10-22 16:08:03

@Philbert hello, thanks for your reply. Tested it out real quick and as far as i noticed it seems to always have a 192.168.0.1xx IP-Adress. After plugging in the laptop, it gets different IP and connecting with wifi, the IP adress is also different, but always in the 192.168.0.1xx range.

Does this information help you in any way?

Thanks for helping so far and greetings  :-)

Options
2022-10-22 17:02:51

@raeb 

Hey

OK so it appears you are getting a Private IP in Class C, basically you are on the college / uni LAN, this is what I expected tbh

Do you know if this is from your college or your router?   If your router is off / disconnected do you still get the same address range?   If so then its likely your college providing this.

I would then guess that your router needs its WAN port set to AUTO so it pulls a 192.168.0.1xx   address from the college also.  Its also worth ensuring DHCP Server is disabled on your router.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 450

Replies: 3