Can I use my C9 as an access point and still use its SSL capability?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-10-26 10:43:18 - last edited 2022-12-02 09:33:03
Model: Archer C9  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

I decommissioned my C9 router recently when I went full-fibre and my ISP installed its own hub. All well and good but I do miss the "Local Storage Sharing" capability of the C9 via its USB 2.0 port. Could I use the C9 as an Access Point and still use this feature? I wouldn't be using the C9 for internet access, wired or wireless.

If this is possible is there a guide on how to do this and if so can someone provide me with a link please?  Sorry, but I'm a bit of a numpty when it comes to networking!

Thanks.

Options
8 Reply
Re:Can I use my C9 as an access point and still use its SSL capability?
2022-10-26 10:45:42

@Creedence Sorry, I forgot to modify the title before posting. For "SSL" read "Local Storage Sharing".

Options
2022-10-26 12:29:04 - last edited 2022-10-26 14:15:46

@Creedence 

USB Sharing should be available in AP mode too - check this FAQ.

Here's a guide on USB Sharing configuration.

Depending on your HW version, Archer C9 may or may not have an Access Point mode - here's the guide on how to configure in both cases.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2022-10-26 20:45:11

@terziyski    Thank you, I will now read and try to understand the document you referred me to. When I read the user manual I could find no reference to "access point" - it's all looking rather murky...

Options
2022-10-26 21:42:02 - last edited 2022-10-26 22:38:16

@Creedence 

That's because only Archer C9 v5 has an operation mode menu with an Access Point option.

If you really have Archer C9 v1 then you should use Case 2 from the guide I posted in my first post.

The HW information is printed on the bottom sticker of the device - here's how to determine which is it.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2022-10-27 09:52:30

@terziyski 

Case 2 requires making changes to the ISP's router settings but I want to avoid that. What I could do, I think, is reinstall the C9, reset its network key to that of the ISP's router, and give it a try - or does that just sound too simplistic? Are there likely to be changes needed to the C9's settings?  I'd hope not because it was working fine previously on a "hybrid fibre" connection. 

Options
2022-10-27 10:07:45 - last edited 2022-10-31 19:12:50

@Creedence 

In both cases 1 & 2 changes should be made only on C9 - not on the ISP router.

You could probably use C9 as it is (without reconfiguring), but you'll introduce a double NAT in your network.

If you're not a tech-savvy, just ask a firend to give you a hand with configuring Archer C9 in AP mode - it's not as difficult as it looks.

Options
2022-10-28 09:04:33

@terziyski 

Thanks very much for your reply - you've been very helpful. I'll give this a try over the weekend.

Options
2022-10-31 14:43:50

@terziyski 

I give up - i couldn't access the Archer C9 v1 on my fibre network. Not sure why but it did complain at one point of not finding my previous non-fibre networks's SSID!

Thanks for your help.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 469

Replies: 8