VR600 V2 - set as access point?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-10-27 02:54:52
Model: Archer VR600  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

So after having issues using the VR600 V2 router as my main router (sudden ping spikes and extreme ping spikes when running upload speed tests), I had no choice but to re-use the router supplied by my ISP (Sky SR203). 

I thought I'd try and test this router out as an access point instead. At least I'd get some use out of it. Unfortunately, the VR600 V2 doesn't want to play nice with that either.

I use an access point to help boost Wi-Fi signals downstairs (main router is up upstairs by 2 floors). I currently use an old TalkTalk router. I turned off things like DHCP to prevent issues. According to trace routes I've done, there's no double NAT. Only the main router appears and no other private IP addresses. Internet and Wi-Fi works well with that configured as an AP.

I've wanted to upgrade from it though so I thought the VR600 would be good enough.As the TalkTalk router functions as an AP, I know that the setup works. I was expecting it to be as painless to setup as the TalkTalk router was. 

I set up the Tp-Link VR600 the same way. I gave it an IP address of 192.168.0.2 (main router is 192.168.0.1 with IP range of 192.168.0.3-192.168.0.254). DHCP is off. Set SSID to be the same as the main router. Connecting my laptop directly to the VR600 via Ethernet gives me an Internet connection. That shows the VR600 is communicating with my main router.

The problem is Wi-Fi. It is constantly dropping Wi-Fi clients off. I'd see the Wi-Fi icon appear and then an immediate disconnect would follow. After some fiddling with the DHCP option and IPs, along with some reboots, I got it to somewhat play nice. My phone was connecting to the VR600 and staying connected. Internet worked. I thought, "OK cool, it's fixed".

Today, I heard complaints from others in the house saying the Wi-Fi kept dropping. So I went ahead and checked. It seems it's not fixed. I've found devices like my phone and my laptop connect fine and stay connected. I tried another laptop and that refused to connect. 

So what I did was set the SSID on the VR600 to be different to see what's going on. Once again, my phone and laptop automatically connected fine and seem to stay connected. The problematic laptop still would not. It connects, but says no Internet. 

I found if I disconnected the main router Ethernet cable from the VR600 and reconnected, the laptop would get an Internet connection. If I disconnected the laptop once again from the VR600 and re-connected, it would connect but state no Internet. Disconnecting and reconnecting the Ethernet cable once again restored the Internet connection.

What's going on here? This router seems to give nothing but problems. Is this how TP-Link routers behave? It was far less hassle to set up an ISP router as an AP. I just had to change a few settings on that and it worked. It's been in use for months and not once did I hear complaints of Wi-Fi drops. 

Am I dealing with a hardware issue, or is it some weird firmware issue? I tried both the old and latest firmware available for the device. It's still not working right. I tried a factory restore (the one that doesn't remove login info) and still nothing. I even tested Wireless Router mode to see if that helped. It did not. I can't see anything else in the settings that would cause the symptoms I'm seeing. 

Since I can get Internet from the VR600 when using Ethernet and the fact some Wi-Fi do sometimes work, that tells me the configuration has been set up correctly. I want to make sure this router is faulty before I send it back. If there's anything left to try, do let me know. I ideally don't want to have to return it.

Options
11 Reply
Re:VR600 V2 - set as access point?
2022-10-27 18:30:03 - last edited 2022-10-27 18:31:54

@ALL_SYS_PWRGD 

In general this guide should cover configuring VR600 in AP mode. Your DSL router should be in 'DSL modem router mode'.

If particular devices can't obatain their IP address from your main router, you may try using the DHCP Relay option to point to your main router LAN IP address:

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2022-10-27 21:37:26

@terziyski 

Switching to "Wireless Router Mode" actually seemed to allow more devices (that weren't connecting) to connect this time (didn't work last time). However, I still noticed one laptop in particular was unable to get an Internet connection. I enabled DHCP Relay, put in the main router IP and that seemed to allow the laptop to connect to the Internet.

Is there any reason for the router to be in DSL Modem Router Mode when using it as just an AP? It's currently working in Wireless Router Mode. 

Going to have to give it more time to see if it's actually fixed. This router seems to have a mind of its own.

Options
2022-10-27 21:47:36 - last edited 2022-10-27 23:49:33

@ALL_SYS_PWRGD 

Yes, there is actually. In your current configuration you could introduce a double NAT, having VR600 in 'Wireless router mode'.

You have three ethernet ports available for wired devices - that's if you're using LAN4/WAN port to connect to your main router.

If you use VR600's LAN1 port to connect to your main router, then there's no double NAT, but you lose LAN4/WAN port as an option for connecting another wired device.

If you decide to stay in 'Wireless Router Mode' don't use LAN4/WAN port for connecting client devices.

In 'DSL router mode' you have three ethernet ports available for wired devices and you'll avoid the double NAT in your network.

Finally, it's up to you to decide which mode you'll going to use - if this way things are better for you, then leave it as it is.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2022-10-28 01:01:13

Just checked and it's actually still in DSL Modem Router Mode. Pretty sure I switched to Wireless Router Mode before, but it doesn't matter. The DHCP Relay option seems to have fixed the Wi-Fi issue. Hopefully it stays working.

Options
2022-10-28 02:11:54 - last edited 2022-10-28 02:23:16

Spoke too soon. Just noticed that it's now immediately kicking my phone off the 2.4GHz band. It's still connecting fine on the 5GHz band. A router reboot did not solve the issue. 

EDIT: Changed SSID for 2.4GHz band, rebooted and now the phone connects to 2.4GHz. 

Is this a firmware or hardware issue? I can't tell at this point.

Options
2022-10-28 10:26:47 - last edited 2022-10-28 12:48:43

@ALL_SYS_PWRGD 

Can't tell for sure, but It could be just a strong wireless interference on the 2.4 GHz band. Use an app like inSSIDer ot Wi-Fi Analyzer to select the least crowded channel.

Options
2022-10-28 13:25:51

@terziyski 

Not sure if it's interference. I previously had a TalkTalk F@ST 5364 serving as an AP for several years. Not once did it have any Wi-Fi stability problems on either the 2.4GHz or 5GHz band. It's always been rock-solid stable. It was in the same location as the VR600 is.

I've done a bit of googling and have come across a handful of threads reporting this problem. There's been no solution reported.

At this point, either the router has some firmware problems or these routers just can't cope when used as an AP for whatever reason. 

It's a real shame it doesn't work properly. It wasn't even working right when serving as a main router. It's why I tried to turn it into an AP. At least I would've got some use out of it. Turns out it can't even be an AP. 

I may just have to admit defeat and go back to the TalkTalk hub. It doesn't look like TP-Link themselves post here and even if they do, they're not going to look into an old router like this. It's pretty much an unfixable problem:|

Options
2022-10-31 05:49:49

In recent years, a lot of routers have an interface feature that enables them to operate in access point mode. Note: If an access point mode is available, it will be listed in the features of some Wi-Fi routers. If that's the case for your Router B, you can just turn this mode on and it will start working as an AP.

Options
2022-11-17 20:20:05

Well, I've been continuing to use this router as an AP. It seems that whenever I try to set the router's SSID to be the same as the main router, clients that connect to the AP get immediately booted off when trying to connect. If I use a different SSID on the Archer, clients can connect and seem to stay connected.

Is this a hardware problem or an issue with the firmware? If it's firmware, is there any update to address this problem?

Options
2022-11-18 01:23:41 - last edited 2022-12-08 05:33:56

@ALL_SYS_PWRGD 

I doubt that this is a HW problem, but it could be a FW issue. If it's working for you this way, keep it as it is.

In fact you're not gaining anything if the SSIDs of VR600 and your main router are the same - that's not a mesh network after all.

On the other hand, this way you could determine to which device's wi-fi radio you're connected at any moment.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1084

Replies: 11

Related Articles