VR600 V2 - set as access point?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

VR600 V2 - set as access point?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
11 Reply
Re:VR600 V2 - set as access point?
2022-12-08 05:10:25

Ended up reverting back to the TalkTalk router for now. It is bothering me that the VR600 isn't working if set to the same SSID as the main router. It either just kicks off Wi-Fi clients from the network immediately after they connect, or works fine for a bit and then suddenly stops working properly. Other ISP-supplied routers I've tried using as an AP (TalkTalk F@ST 5364 and an older Sky ER110) work fine when set to the same SSID as the main router. I feel like the VR600 should be able to handle that as well.

I have been able to get some Wi-Fi clients to hold on to a connection and be able to freely connect/disconnect. Then I'd notice that some devices begin struggling to connect. They'll connect to the AP, but won't have Internet. To get Internet, I have to disconnect and reconnect the main router's Ethernet cable from the VR600. Once I do that, the device suddenly gets an Internet connection. If I disconnect the device from the AP, the device has no Internet again and needs the Ethernet cable disconnected/reconnected. 

While, yes, you're right that there's very little difference between having the same SSID and a different one. For me it's more about trying to identify why it's behaving this way because it should be able to work with the same SSID as the main router. 

The router also doesn't reliably show what clients connect to it wirelessly. It correctly shows Wi-Fi clients under the "Statistics" page (this page only shows the MAC addresses of the Wi-Fi clients and not their hostnames), but if I click on "Wi-Fi clients" that shows up in the Basic tab, it doesn't show all devices connected, only some. This issue was noticed when I had the VR600 on a different SSID. I've seen some devices, like my smart TV show up under "wired clients" (TV isn't connected using Ethernet).

I'm still trying to search for a solution. I do want to see if I can get it working. I've come across some threads on here that have had similar issues, but none had any resolution. 

Options
Related Articles