Deco S4: Some devices aren’t connecting to network; iPhone app not connecting

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-10-28 03:17:59
Model: Deco S4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have a mesh network, with 6 S4s. The network has worked well for over two years. Suddenly over the past week or so, it has begun to experience increasingly problematic connection issues. The network continues to show up as available on all of my devices, and some of my devices will connect to it. But others get dropped and won't reconnect.

The strangest part is that the problem is not device specific. For example, right now, my upstairs TV is connected to the network but my downstairs won't connect (it is showing an "obtaining IP address message"). Yesterday, it was the exact opposite--my downstairs TV would connect but my upstairs TV wouldn't. This has been the case for almost all of my devices for the past week or so--sometimes they'll connect to the network, other times they won't, but at all times the network is showing and working for at least some devices. Over this time, more and more devices are not connecting. Right now, only one of my security cameras and one of my TVs has working WiFi; every other device (iPhone, iPad, etc.) won't connect to the network.

To make matters worse, my app isn't working to let me get into the settings. Last night, my phone was connected to the network and WiFi was working. I opened the app and it everything appeared normally on the Home Screen. I went into settings to try troubleshooting but when I tried to change a setting, I received an error message that the change couldn't be saved and then the app immediately went to the "We couldn't find Deco" error screen. But my phone was still connected to the network and WiFi was working fine! I restarted the app and the network again appeared and I could get into settings. But each time I tried to make a settings change, I got an error message that the change wasn't saved and then a "We couldn't find Deco" error screen.  

Any thoughts about how to trouble shoot would be greatly appreciated. I should add that all Decos are showing a solid white light. I do have one Deco turned off, but that is normal (its in my basement and I only turn it on when I'm streaming TV in the basement, which isn't often). 

Options
1 Reply
Re:Deco S4: Some devices aren’t connecting to network; iPhone app not connecting
2022-11-01 08:39:18

@Adk97, Hi, welcome to the community.

If the Deco S4 is not on the latest version, please update Deco S4 to the latest 1.5.1 first:

Deco S4_1.5.1_220113

How to update the firmware manually via web UI: https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1599/

After that, Can I have a picture of your network map? (if you have updated to Deco 3.0, it could be seen on the Deco APP directly.)

And Would there be any change recently before you noticed the random disconnection?

There are some suggestions for your reference:

1. Turn off fast roaming and beamforming under Deco APP>More>Advanced.

2. Disable Mesh Technology for mobile devices that frequently dropped out.

3. Enable the network for 2.4ghz only and move some of the smart home devices to the guest network to see whether the connection could be a little bit stable.

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 492

Replies: 1

Related Articles