Using MR600 Archer antenna with extending cables

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-10-29 09:45:04
Tags: #signal
Model: Archer MR600  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: ‪1.5.0 0.9.1 v0001.0

Hi there, 

First post here.

I got a bad landline so like most, i decided to try out a 4g+ router with an only dataplan 300gb sim from Iliad ( living in Latina - Italy).

I got an issue that i cannot mount any external antenna because of building agreements and have to use the standard issued antennas. 

So when i use the router with the opened window and let it rest upon the mosquito net i can get a decent signal that allows me to play most games with a 60ms ping and decend speeds. 

Mind that I don't have the BTS in visual. 

to be specific, i tryed a Kaser omniditrectional external antenna, but i was losing signal instead of gaining. I tried by testing with external antenna then the standard antrennas in the same spot, several placements around the house and results are the same. 

So, now that the "winter  is coming" i would no longer be able to leave the window open and i was wondering how to do this and my idea was:

what if a buy a short cable (1-2mt) SMA female - SMA male, make a small holder and mount the router on the wall, "externalize" the two small antennas and leading the antennas outside, will this work? 

Link this

Thanks, 

Daniel.

Options
13 Reply
Re:Using MR600 Archer antenna with extending cables
2022-10-29 11:20:57

@DanielThePux 

try to connect with something like this: https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjp0tK4qIX7AhUDBIsKHSSDCIwYABAPGgJlZg&ae=2&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAASJeRoPAqlHYhIQjieWJv_NsmSCH04daTjWYLhApS5_T5OHClfxhA&sig=AOD64_1oep8sqgByjgUwGXi57ZLYiJ3L2w&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwiYs8q4qIX7AhVbhv0HHXt6DL0Q9aACKAB6BAgFEHQ&adurl=

i can connect a 17km range .... yes ok low indicators but it works

Options
2022-10-30 05:03:09
Options
2022-10-30 08:01:00

@DanielThePux 

Just close the window, the glass will not makes any difference to the signal, if it works now it will still work, as for the fly screen, if it is a steel mesh screen then remove it, if not, just leave it as is.

Hope this helps.

John vk3hjq smiley

Options
2022-10-30 08:49:55

@vk3hjq 

at all the tower is around 17 km away from my home ... high position direct view and !!!! Yes low indicators !!!

didnt travel as homeless in a van ... sorry but that you can learn ... dish is 17km away and it works

Options
2022-10-30 08:57:17

@vk3hjq 

Any help helps! :D

I can build myself a holder for the antennas. I actually don't know if it is better to use plastic material like lexan or it's better in metal, and probably find 50ohm  short (0,5 or 1mt) extention cable to pull the signal from outside directly inside and test with zero costs if it helps. 

Cause as it it now, living the router on the table i get:

- band 3: RSRP -98, RSRQ -14, SNR 3.2

- band 7: RSRP -113, RSRQ -15, SNR 0.6

Or if i put it on the window, like the first picture, i get:

- band 3: RSRP -104, RSRQ -19, SNR -5.0

-band 7: RSRP -111, RSRQ -19, SNR -2.2

new test, i put the router over the mosquito net and i get:

- band 3: RSRP -100, RSRQ -17, SNR -4.0

- band 7: RSRP -117, RSRQ -20, SNR -9.0

feels like it is worse, i'm i wrong?

I presume that the original antennas are omnidirectional probably, so there is not that importance on the exact positioning. 

Options
2022-10-30 09:00:46

@NickCave 

thanks for the advice, but as I ventured in several videos for external antennas and that product you are referring to it's always blasted for not being effective. Maybe you are lucky! Are you sure that the BTS you are connecting to is the one 17km away or maybe it's connecting to a closer one?

Options
2022-10-30 09:10:20

@DanielThePux 

i have two towers in my range once with bad conditions up hill ... there a lot of buildings in the way and iam in the shadow of the hang from the plateau 

the second is 17 km away in flat land also bad conditions because the range .... and needs a special weather condition to reach it ... so you can call me lucky

the second is the better way to have internet ... i plug it on the window 3rd floor

some times no internet on the 17km range .... but day wise it work ... upon weather conditions good 

Options
2022-10-30 09:22:28

@vk3hjq 

in this matter, i've read the article you wrote and got curious. I used and app called LTE Italy and it shows all the surrounding BTS.

I got a close one (2.8km) of my ISP and have direct sight over it. It has B1 B3 B7 B28 bands, and it's a passive FDD and DSS 5G as well. 

And i was thinking, if that is a suitable antenna, will this placement be good enough?

my concern is the cat safety net, because its a nylon and a small steel metal wire to prevent it from chewing it open.

I know it's a lot for a reply, but i really cannot get a decent connection here, any help is good help!

cheers 

Daniel.

Options
2022-10-30 09:28:01

@NickCave 

Oh ok, so you are subject to the situation, that sucks bad. I have a similar situation with horrible landline (even if i'm close to the town center 1.5Km), cause of corruption and "non giving a frak" from the people in charge. Some days it works, some days you get 0.3 upload. The top download is 18mbit when it works...and it is supposed to be an FTTC.....let you judge my frustration, coming from my previous appartment with a 85/90mbit FTTC. 

So i want to get free from that stuff, and with 4g+ you can, if only i had a tower in sight...this morning i find it and we will see!

Options
2022-10-30 09:37:40 - last edited 2022-10-30 10:54:47

@DanielThePux 

Another idea is, you could mount the MR600 outside, (under the eave) you only need power and then use the WiFi to connect.

Have you tried placing the MR600 up high inside the house & see what results you get.

FYI: Metal acts as a Shield so no signal will pass through it, as for the cat net, just try it & see.

John vk3hjq 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 939

Replies: 12

Tags

signal