X90 Internal network speed for file transfer

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-11-03 12:20:21 - last edited 2022-11-07 12:05:26
Model: Deco X90  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.3 Build 20220927 Rel.50772

Hi,

What should be the internal file transfer speed between computers inside the X90 network (wireless backhaul between the X90 units, the computers are wired to the X90 units on each side, using 1GB network interface on the PC & Thunderbolt connection on my Macbook Air M1).

I currently get very low speeds of 225Mbps write and 83Mbps read (please see the attached screenshot, the file size moved between the computers is 500MB)

I am aware that the speeds are location dependent and can vary, but what should I expect incase of an optimum location between the X90 units?

***Update:

Slightly better speeds now received after upgrading to the newest firmware - 1.1.3 Build 20220927 Rel.50772

325Mbps write and 77Mps read.

As for the download speeds from the Internet, they are amazingly good over WiFi, 730Mps down and 101Mps up (for 1Gbit/100Mbit fiber infra)

Thanks,

-Ran

File:
SCR-20221103-k0v.pngDownload
Options
3 Reply
Re:X90 Internal network speed for file transfer
2022-11-04 07:01:17

@Ranb 

Hi, is the layout like this:

ISP---main X90) ) ) ( ( ( satellite X90

I                               I

I                               I

PC with 1Gb interface          Mac Air

And the transfer side between computers is 500Mb, not MB?

Are you able to help me run another test: connecting both PC and Mac Air to the same satellite X90 to test the internal transfer speed again?

Thank you and wait for your reply.

Options
2022-11-04 09:04:41 - last edited 2022-11-05 11:50:58

@David-TP Hello David and thanks for your reply.

Your diagram is correct except the Mac is connected on the main Deco, and yes, the measuring units are in Mega bits, please see the attached screenshot.

Connecting to the same satellite physically is a bit tricky since I'm lacking the proper TB to Ethernet adapter (I am using a wired dock on my office desk, it can't be moved).

So I tried to conduct other tests that might help:

1. Connected a wired backhaul between the satellites (a long LAN cable), performed the same test, pretty much no change (Internet speeds are now top speed on both units).

2. Moved the MacBook Air near the remote X90 Satellite and verified it is connected to it via WiFi (using the Deco app), now the write speed has increased dramatically to 500Mbs.

3. Took the MacBook Air back to the main X90 unit, and verified it has indeed connected to it, now the speeds dropped again as before.   

Still I am trying to understand from you, what are the nominal speeds I should expect with an optimum range between the units (right now in the app, it shows Strong signal to the main unit).

Another piece of information is about the X90 installation process:

Before the X90 I had Deco M5 units installed. So I have joined one X90 in and then switched it to be the main unit in the network via the app,

then added the 2nd X90 unit successfully. 

After both new units joined my network okay, I removed all the M5 Deco units via tha app, leaving only the X90 new units standing.

I did that to make sure all my clients will not lose their ability to connect to the new units and keep all my settings in place (I knew that keeping the the current SSID and password might be enough, but wanted to be sure).

I couldn't find any documentation on how to migrate properly between one Deco model to another, so I hope I did it correctly.

Again, thanks for looking into this.

-Ran

Options
2022-11-08 12:31:06

@Ranb 

Thank you for the message and sorry for the delay.

the Main Deco switching process has no problem at all and it is correct.

I am not sure what the expected write and read speeds are and I will leave it to the senior engineers.

I think there might be a speed loss over different Mesh nodes and could not find the proper reason to explain it or figure out how much of the speed loss. So I would like to follow up on your case by email and consult the senior engineers for further assistance. 

Please check whether you could get an email from me.

Best regards.

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 421

Replies: 3