TP Link Archer MR600 V2 NAT problems while gaming on PS5 & my Xbox Series X

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-11-08 14:46:48
Model: Archer MR600  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.5.0 0.9.1 v0001.0 Build 210914 Rel.59719n

Hi, ive got this 4G router and ive had it for around 7 months so far. I'm using it with my EE (UK) unlimited sim card inside it. I'm a gamer, im well happy with the speeds im getting from it from where i live and location. Its the NAT issue, for the past few weeks, im getting strict nat on my Xbox and type 3 on my ps5, which is the worse, which sometimes now i get lag spikes  every so often, which affects my gameplay while playing online. Before after my ip address changes it used to change to moderate/open or strict, but now its not changing.

Ive read about port forwarding them or putting them in DMZ, but ive never tried this so far. ive read and seen mixed reviews about that didn't sort it for most people who tried it. So is there anything else i can try to give myself a better gaming experience through 4G broadband. i much rather this than my appalling FTTC connection, get much better speeds, still a decent ping of around 30 odd ms, but the main factor is the NAT issue. If i can get that sorted or better id be happy, until 5G comes up where i live.

Thanks

Craig

Options
3 Reply
Re:TP Link Archer MR600 V2 NAT problems while gaming on PS5 & my Xbox Series X
2022-11-09 01:41:08

@Craige_Davido 

Hi, please check the Internet IP address on Advanced->Status page->Internet part to see if it is a public IP or private IP address.

If it is not a real public IP address, it means there is another NAT product in the front, which is on your SIM carrier side since you are using a SIM card only. You need to contact your SIM card carrier to see if they could assign you a public IP address.

Methods to tell whether it is a public IP address or not:

1) Private IPv4 addresses have the following class configurations:

Class A IP addresses: from 10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255

Class B IP addresses: from 172.16.0.0 to 172.31.255.255

Class C IP addresses: from 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255

2) Apart from the private IP addresses in the above 3 classes, there is another range of IP addresses, which looks like a public IP address, but Carrier Grade NAT (CGNAT) address. They are from 100.64.0.0 to 100.127.255.255, which are usually not real public IP address either.

3) Or you could also search "whatismyip" on a client device connected to the LTE router, then compare it with the 4G Internet IP displayed on Status page of its web interface. If they are the same, it means the 4G internet IP on the LTE router is a real public IP address, if not, it means it is a private IP address or the CGNAT address.

In addition, you could also try to configure port forwarding on the MR600 to see if it helps, please note that DMZ host can only be one host, so you could use Virtual Servers under NAT Forwarding to open necessary ports for both PS5 & Xbox.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. TL-WA3001 Supports EasyMesh, Speed Limit, Guest Network in AP Mode and/or Multi-SSID Mode. If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2022-11-09 22:51:24

@Sunshine 

Hi, i checked my ip address in advanced and they start with 10, so its in the class A ip addresses. ive tried searching that whats is my ip, and that's coming up 213 at the start of it, compared to the one in advanced on status page. Im sure i mentioned it to them (EE) about getting public ip address before, but im sure they told me they don't or mumbled something.

ive read about certain providers using this CGNAT which shares these ip address with everyone across the network, which affects the NAT issue. am i right saying if my provider doesn't do public static ip addresses, there's nothing i can do, and have to accept this NAT issue.

Craig

Options
2022-11-10 08:08:15

@Craige_Davido 

Hi, since there is at least one another NAT in the front, the NAT type on the Xbox will not be open, but you could try to configure the port forwarding on MR600 to see if it could change to moderate.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. TL-WA3001 Supports EasyMesh, Speed Limit, Guest Network in AP Mode and/or Multi-SSID Mode. If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options