Advise needed for wifi router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-11-10 22:05:12
Model: TL-WR843N  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: N/A

Good afternoon,

I got a really old router (model listed - TL-WR843N) and i was thinking of getting a new router as i feel this old one caps me off at 100mbps when i test it. I am not big into internet/routers and how it works but long story short my internet is around 500mbps download etc and i would like someone to suggest a decent router that i can replace my old one with. I tried to adjust my old router to higher speeds by going into "tplinklogin.net" to no success.

I mainly see "1gbps" routers and i feel like that would be an overkill as my internet does not even reach those speeds but as i said i dont really know how it works so i would like to ask for advise from someone who knows better than me, my goal is to boost the internet speed to around at least 300mbps using LAN on my pc.

My set up (if it matters or not) is i have my main internet router (Virgin media 500mbps) from that i got the cable going into my old TL-WR843N upstairs which connects into my pc using a LAN cable.

Thank you for your time.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Advise needed for wifi router
2022-11-16 07:47:52

@Waveee 

You need a gigabit router to achieve your goal.

TL-WR843N has 1x100mbit WAN port and 4x100mbit LAN ports - that's causing a bottleneck and you have only 100mbit connection to your PC.

If you buy (for example) Archer C64, which is 1000mbit on each port, you'll get much closer to your (Virgin media 500mbps).

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 362

Replies: 1