Deco X50 with Apple Homekit and Eve Home

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-11-17 19:22:41
Tags: #Thread
Model: Deco X50  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.8 Build 20220407 Rel. 69134

Hello,

Short summary: Since I got the TP-Link Deco X50, my Homekit has been acting strangely in combination with the products of Eve Home. I suspect on certain frequencies.

The story:
Earlier this year my WiFi mesh network consisted of the Deco M4 (4 pieces). But due to the increase in more and more WiFi equipment, I noticed that it no longer worked. The CPU load was almost constantly high, which caused the necessary delay. In other words I got complaints from the family ;)

There was also an Apple HomePod mini and some Eve Home products (EVE energy, EVE Room and EVE Weather). This all works on Thread. All EVE 'endpoints' were directly accessible and switched via HomeKit at the specified times.

After I replaced the M4's for 3x an X50 and everyone was super happy with the wifi speed and range, then the problems with Homekit and/or EVE started. The entire system became unstable. Switches did not work regularly, endpoints were not always reachable. Via the EVE app you can check whether the Thread network is functioning and some endpoints were seen immediately, others only based on Bluetooth and others not at all.

After some testing and moving the HomePod it looked like it was a cover issue. When the HomePod was close to an EVE product, it went well (presumably based on Bluetooth).
Until recently I had a power outage and miraculously after the power was back everything worked flawlessly.
But last week there were some wifi complaints from the attic room. An analysis was done using the DECO app and it indicated that the channels had to be optimized (too busy).. and hop.. after the optimization, WiFi was super fast again, but the entire Thread network was broken again.

I gave all the Deco's an reset  and Thread works again...until the next reset.

So it looks like the X50 gives some kind of interference with Thread and/or the Homepod mini (which also uses Thread)

Bit of a long story but I'm curious about any ideas.

Regards,

Martijn

Options
6 Reply
Re:Deco X50 with Apple Homekit and Eve Home
2022-11-18 09:00:19

@Tijno Hi Martijn, welcome to the community.

I started exploring the Matter/Thread for a while but so far, still in the beginner stage. So there might not be so many useful suggestions.

Personally, since Deco does not support Matter/Thread so far, I think it is not supposed to get involved in your Thread Network. Then I remembered one user mentioned Zigbee and Thread signals occupy the same 2.4ghz bandwidth as Wi-Fi signals, which might be a suspected interference that we could have a further discussion about.

And could you please help me check some basic details so that I could consult the engineers for more advice:

1. Before updating to Deco X50, have you experienced the same issue on Deco M4 as well? 

2. Could you please turn off "Fast roaming" and "Beamforming" on the Deco APP>More>Advanced to see whether it made any difference?

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
2022-11-18 10:17:49

@David-TP 

Hello David and thanks for the welcome.

I also think that both protocols maybe in each others way, but I can't proof it. I have no Zigbee devices in my house.

And to give answers to your questions:

1) with the M4's I didn't had any troubles. 

2) Both are turned on, I'll turn them off.

The issue is not always there so it's difficult to find it. It can work good for weeks. I noticed it when lights don't turn on or off automatically via Apple Homekit. 

For what I understand, all the Thread devices need a border router to communicate. I only have one, the Homepod mini.

Resetting the Homepod mini or the Eve devices doens't matter, I need to reset the Deco's to solve the problem.

The X50's support Zigbee? This because they give the option for using smarthome devices?

With regards,
Martijn

Options
2022-12-09 14:45:25

@David-TP 

Hello David,

Turing off the fastroaming and beamforming didn't help. I'm still experiencing issues. Last week when I had an power outage, I needed to reboot the Deco's to get the Thread network working. And today again, network was slow, needed optimization (channels where busy). After that I needed a reboot again to be able to use the Thread network.

Do you have any suggestions? 

With regards,
Martijn Blikkenhorst

Options
2023-04-05 01:46:58

@Tijno 

wow, I have the exact same issue with my network.  I use the S4's, all APs wired, HomeKit devices become unresponsive over time.  Have you found a solution to this?  So frustrating....

Options
2023-04-05 21:17:57

@Iggipop9 

Hi, I still have some problems but not as frequent anymore. The XX50's had their updates and so did the Apple Homepod.

But it still can happen when the DECO's powerup after a power outage. 

There are three options that solve this for the time being:

1. reboot the Homepod mini

2. reboot all the Deco's

3. network optimization (but sometime this can also be the source of the problem).

Still unclear why this happens and why my old M4's didn't give these errors. My guess, the Homepod doesn’t support all wifi channels correct or the Thread channel is being distorted by the Deco’s.

Options
2023-04-08 18:51:32

@Tijno 

Got frustrated and replaced my deco mesh with a new Linksys MX8502 Atlas WiFi Mesh System.  It wasn't cheap but it has been running flawlessly for a week now, wow, I thought HomeKit was the problem, turns out it was the wifi....

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 2452

Replies: 6

Tags

Thread
Related Articles