"WAN Connection Error" captive portal disables autoconnect on Android

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-11-20 20:26:04
Model: Archer AX3000  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.4 Build 20200426 rel.69563(5553)

Several other forum posts have brought up this issue, I'm bringing it up again for two reasons

1. It's bothering people, and I want to increase the priority of fixing it
  2. The feature causes prolonged loss of connectivity for some users, and I didn't see other posters making that clear

This has been happening weekly for a while now:

1. WAN (internet) connection drops due to ISP issues
  2. tp-link router puts up captive portal page
  3. Android tablet (Samsung SM-P613; software version P613XXS1AVJ5/P613OXM1AVJ5, current as of 2022-11-20) detects the captive portal
  4. Tablet marks the network unusable and disconnects from wifi
  5. Internet comes back up
  6. Tablet remains offline (no cellular data, no wifi) for an unknown period (>12 hours, possibly permanent)
  7. The user never sees the captive portal (error page), the tablet is completely disconnected by the time they go to use it
  8. The user has minimal technical skill and can't connect to the internet
  9. I (sometimes) get a call, and spend over 10 minutes telling them how to access wifi settings
  10. They manually connect to the wifi network, and everything works again

This feature has resulted in the user spending over a week offline, which they find moderately frustrating, I have 4 possible solutions:

1. Get the tablet to stop permanently disabling wifi networks it detects captive portals on
    1. I just found a Mullvad article titled "Configure connectivity checks on Android" which might work, but it needs adb.
  2. Get the ISP to fix the connection drops
    1. Difficult, because the issue is intermittent
  3. Get the router to stop triggering the tablet's captive portal detection
    1. Root it to disable this nonsense
    2. Get an official patch
    3. Buy a different router
  4. Teach the user to fix this issue on their own
    1. Rooting the router might be easier, even if there isn't a current method

What I'm trying to make very clear is that this feature can turn a temporary internet connection loss into a permanent (until fixed by a 3rd party) one for some users. Please allow disabling it. On my router's WAN error page there's even a "Don't remind me again" button to the left of the "Set up an internet connection" button, it just needs to actually not remind the user again when that button is clicked.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 167

Replies: 0

Related Articles