Access Control: Block Internet but Allow LAN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-11-28 21:11:10 - last edited 2022-12-01 12:02:10
Model: Archer AX50  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.11

Hi. I want to block incoming/outgoing Internet access for a device, but still allow local LAN connections for it.

e.g. I want my printer to connect with my computer while both on the same WiFi network, but don’t want my printer to speak to the outside world.

Currently, on the TP-Link portal on Security → Access Control it says: “When a device is blocked, it is unable to communicate with other devices or connect to the Internet”.

It seems you can either isolate the device entirely (no Internet nor LAN) or allow everything. I can’t find an option to block one (Internet) and allow the other (LAN). Is this possible at all?

Thanks.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Access Control: Block Internet but Allow LAN-Solution
2022-11-28 22:12:37 - last edited 2022-11-28 22:13:46

@user10000 

Hi,

You should be able to do this with the "Parental Controls" feature.

This feature's actual intended purpose is to allow parents to restrict their children's access to the Internet to certain periods of time.

But it should work just as well to prevent a printer's access to the Internet at all times, if you set the schedule to something like 00:00 - 24:00.

I believe on the AX50 router "Parental Controls" can only be accessed via the Tether app, which is a bit pity.

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Access Control: Block Internet but Allow LAN-Solution
2022-11-28 22:12:37 - last edited 2022-11-28 22:13:46

@user10000 

Hi,

You should be able to do this with the "Parental Controls" feature.

This feature's actual intended purpose is to allow parents to restrict their children's access to the Internet to certain periods of time.

But it should work just as well to prevent a printer's access to the Internet at all times, if you set the schedule to something like 00:00 - 24:00.

I believe on the AX50 router "Parental Controls" can only be accessed via the Tether app, which is a bit pity.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Access Control: Block Internet but Allow LAN
2022-11-28 22:16:25

Thank you, @woozle. This is a good workaround. A bit counterintuitive, but it works.

Also, at least on my AX50, Parental Controls can be accessed by the web portal too, so it’s easy to set up. Thank you!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2360

Replies: 2

Related Articles