Extend wifi signal

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Extend wifi signal

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Extend wifi signal
Extend wifi signal
2022-12-03 06:08:05
Model: Archer AX6000  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.0

Happy holidays to all! I just bought the ax6000 to replace my Synology router RT2600ac. I have the router installed in my home office on the 2nd floor facing the backyards. 3 years ago I bought 1 Ubiquity Unifi AP Pro unit to get better wifi coverage and signal strength in the basement and in my garage. The questions I have are: 1) Can I use the ax6000 as my primary router and connect the Unifi AP Pro to get greater wifi coverage and signal strength in the basement and the garage?  2) If so, can I maintain the wifi active on my primary router?  3) Do I have to create separate SSIDs or can I have the same one for the router and the AP Pro?  4) Is there a possibility of signal conflict?  5) Is there a tutorial that exist on to program both devices for such configuration? I have looked into tp link forum and on YouTube and can't find anything about these specifics. Thanks for your help!

Options
4 Reply
Re:Extend wifi signal
2022-12-04 02:09:26 - last edited 2022-12-04 02:22:25

@Capricorn12 

Happy holidays !

1) Can I use the ax6000 as my primary router and connect the Unifi AP Pro to get greater wi-fi coverage and signal strength in the basement and the garage?

Yes.

2) If so, can I maintain the w-ifi active on my primary router?

Yes.

3) Do I have to create separate SSIDs or can I have the same one for the router and the AP Pro?

It's your decision - there's no difference. You can have them the same or different.

4) Is there a possibility of signal conflict?

Yes, but only if they are closer enough - there could be a wireless interference. (I doubt that in your case).

5) Is there a tutorial that exist on to program both devices for such configuration?

There's nothing special here - it's the same case as with your previous Synology router.

AX6000 LAN port => Unifi AP Pro Main/48V (Unifi powered by the power adapter included).

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2022-12-04 19:01:14

@terziyski 

Good day Terziyski, and thank you for the reply and confirmation to my inquiries. It is much appreciated. I do have a few more questions, hoping you could help;

1) From my router to the Bix box (junction box) I have and old Category 5 cable (20 feet long) which I believe is limited to 100 mbps, and from the Bix box to the UniFi AC AP Pro, it's a Category 6 cable (45 feet long). Is there a possibility that I might have transmission restriction (1 GBs from the Lan port) to the UniFi AC AP Pro unit?

2) As for the Unifi AC AP Pro unit, is there any specific features or program functions that I have to: turn off or on? Parameters to modify? Other?

Thanks again!

Options
2022-12-04 19:35:34 - last edited 2022-12-04 19:44:58

@Capricorn12 

1) From my router to the Bix box (junction box) I have and old Category 5 cable (20 feet long) which I believe is limited to 100 mbps, and from the Bix box to the UniFi AC AP Pro, it's a Category 6 cable (45 feet long). Is there a possibility that I might have transmission restriction (1 GBs from the Lan port) to the UniFi AC AP Pro unit?

Yes, there could be a bandwidth limitation, because of the old Category 5 cable - it's advisable to use Category 5E / 6 to ensure a gigabit connection to your Unifi AP Pro.

You could determine that very easy from the AX6000 WebGUI (just check the negotiated speed on the port where the Unifi AP Pro is connected):

2) As for the Unifi AC AP Pro unit, is there any specific features or program functions that I have to: turn off or on? Parameters to modify? Other?

It should be similar as when you've used your previous Synology router. Maybe only changing the wireless channels for 2.4 & 5GHz to be different, so you can avoid a potential wireless interference between the AP and the AX6000.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2022-12-04 21:50:22

@terziyski 

Hi Terziyski, thank you for the additional responses provided. As per the diagram you have shown, I went to check the Unifi AP Pro Ethernet status and sure enough it is at 100Mbps because the in-wall cable is an old Cat. 5. As for the Unifi AC AP Pro unit, I'll review the parameters.

Options